"74 Johnson 85Hp

Hi,<br /> I have a 85hp 1974 Johnny sitting on an 1974 17ft. Slickcraft Tri-haul and does not seem to have the right amount of power. She starts and runs fine. But (1.) I cant get out of the hole with a full load (or takes forever), (2.) will only do 35 @ best with just me or a full load. I have not done a compresion test, but am somewhat sure it is in need of a overhaul, Is there a good inexspensive place to buy rebuiled kits? I can rebuiled just about anything, :confused: but have never tryed an outboard, any tips?<br />Thanks for anything you got!!

alcan

Commander
Re: "74 Johnson 85Hp

Hi Hoosier<br /> Before jumping into a total over haul, there are several tests you need to conduct. Odds are this motor just needs some service work. There is nothing inexpencive about outboards. To end up with the best results for the least amount of cash and head aches, buy a manual,read it,follow the diagnosic procedures. When you need clairification or tips on some of the fine points,that is where we can help the most. Good luck, hope to here of your progress.