74' 85 hp Johnson, leaking mounting bolt

tricks4u

Cadet
I have a 74’ 85 HP Johnson on a 1960 Flying Scott, the engine has a bad habit of jumping up when I put it in reverse, I would guess this is mostly operator error than it is anything else. The pin that holds the engine in position does not go into the body of the engine, but runs behind it through the two bracket holes. There is a hole in the body of the engine were a pin might go, I'm not sure if one goes there or not.<br /><br />The problem I have is I seem to have broken the seal were the engine bolts through the transom and one of the bolts trickles water in the boat. I was told that it should be fixed right away. Bellow the larger bolt is a small one, so I am guessing there are four bolts holding the engine on the transom. Could I make a support of some kind to go under the engine and then take out one bolt at a time spread 101 sealer around the inside of the hole, let it set up, then apply the sealer to the washer and bolt tighten it just short of snug, once it sets up tighten it down and apply sealer around the outside of the bolts? On the other hand, should I take it to a shop to be sure it is done right? Thanks again for any help with this.<br /><br />Don

D

DJ

Re: 74' 85 hp Johnson, leaking mounting bolt

You should haver a lever on the side of the engine. As I recall, up is locked and down is released. That will stop the engine raising in reverse.<br /><br />It sounds like your trim pin is missing. That is the pin that spans the mounting bracket and can go through one of five holes. You need to replace that.<br /><br />Yes, there are four mounting bolts. You need to seal them ASAP. The best way is to lift the engine with a chain hoist or cherry picker.<br /><br />You can TRY your way. The outside seal is more important than the inside.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

If theres 4 bolts holding that motor up.... just pull the bottom one...put some silicone on it and in the hole and plop her back in. I'd do the other side as well.... if ya don't feel comfortable takin out the one bolt with no support.... use a floor jack and block of wood to help support the motor...

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe this is going to post twice... dunno and sorry if it does... Four bolts holding it on... just remove the lower bolt.. slap some silicone on the bolt and in the hole and put her back in... tighten as you would... I would do both of them though cause if one has done it the other is sure to follow<br /><br />If you don't want to just "pull the bolt" without support... use a auto floor jack and a block of wood to help support the motor

tricks4u

Cadet

I have the support that runs from one side of the bracket to the other, but there is a hole in the body of the engine in the same area and I thought that maybe a pin goes in there. I wish I could use a chain hoist but I don't have one or a place that would support the engine if I hooked into the lifting eye. Short of renting a hoist, I'd have to build something above the engine and hang a tow rope from it hooked into the lifting eye. I'm thinking I can just block up the bottom of the engine and take out one bolt at a time add the sealer to the hole and the bolt then tighten it back up. One thing I noticed is the main bolts have a nut and washer on the outside of the mounting bracket on the outside of the transom, there is also a nut and bolt on the inside, if I fill the hole with sealer is that going to seal it alright? Thanks..Don

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you take out and put back one bolt at a time the motor will not have to be supported. <br />There should be a small lever under the front/bow of the motor that says lock and unlock, if it’s in unlock the motor will raise up when it's in reverse.