74 50 HP Spark problem

FlyTSi

Seaman Apprentice
I just got a boat with an EvinRude 50hp 2cyl 2 stroke and I am having problems keeping spark. I got it to spark 3 times and when it did I only had it on 1 cyl. When it has spark it will fire for a few seconds then it goes back to having no fire again.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also does these engines have points?
Thanks in advance.
Kenny

FlyTSi

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 74 50 HP Spark problem

Thanks for the link. I'm thinking from what I have read that it may be the power pack. After reading that link seems straight forward but I have to ask what id DVA voltage?
Thanks again for the reply.

FlyTSi

Seaman Apprentice

After doing some research I dont have the meter to test the DVA. I tested the OHMs and they seemed ok. A friend of mine told me to start by pulling the flywheel and check for rust on the magnets for the stator, any thoughts on this and what size is the nut, it looks like 1 3/8
Thanks
Kenny

FlyTSi

Seaman Apprentice

Update:
After messing around with it last night I noticed that if you loosen the ground wire (not remove) on the lower left of the power pack it will fire on 1 cyl. If you either remove or tighten that wire it goes back to a no spark situation. Also with the two orange coil wiires hooked up properly on the pack the top cyl fires, if you reverse the coils at the pack the lower cyl will fire. I have ordered a new pack but I am curious if you think the pack is the problem.
Thanks
Kenny

FlyTSi

Seaman Apprentice

That problem at least is solved, wound up being the power pack, replaced it now I have good spark on both cylinders.
Thanks again, now on to a new thread for the next problem.