73 OMC Sterndrive siezed? Any advice welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTill

Recruit
Hi everyone,<br /><br />My name is Larry and this is my first post to the group. Actually, I mistakenly posted this to the wrong group earlier, but I digress . . .<br /><br />I have a 1973 Seaswirl with a 165hp OMC Sterndrive, Model # 98030 9, Serial # W 2793. It’s been sitting in my driveway for 2 years. I took it out last week to check it out before selling it. The boat ran like a champ last time it was out and the engine was fogged before it was stored. When I got the boat on the water and engaged the prop, the steering wheel jerked to the left and killed the engine. At idle the engine still runs great, but each time I tried engaging the prop the same effect – steering wheel jerks to the left and the engine dies. <br /><br />My question is this: Does this sound like something has seized in the lower unit? The prop spins freely when the drive is lifted. I don’t know all that much about these motors – I can fix the electronics but I’m all thumbs with engines. <br /><br />Any advice or ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated. <br /><br />Thanks everyone,<br />Larry

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 73 OMC Sterndrive siezed? Any advice welcome

HI, That drive unit has two sections. The lower section has the forward and reverse gears, The upper section transfers the engine power to the lower drive unit. I would guess that you have a problem in the upper drive. These are available as aftermarket.

LTill

Recruit
Re: 73 OMC Sterndrive siezed? Any advice welcome

Thanks Iceman, that's what I needed to hear. Fortunately, the nice guy that towed me back to the launch knows boats, is aware of the mechanical failure and he's buyig the boat tomorrow. Thanks much, Iceman!

Status
Not open for further replies.