73 Mercruiser not shifting into gears ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have bought a 1973 Mercruiser I/O 120 hp , I have been using for a few times on the water, no problems. The last time out I was in fwd. gear at low rpms, and I increased the throttle lever, and drive seamed to come out of gear?
(no big noise) Tried to put back into gear and nothing, no forward or reverse? I shut down motor, put into neutral, started, pushed in neutral knob, shift fwd. - nothing / shift to reverse - nothing. Moved the dog house to check cable movement all appears to be moving correctly?

*When I first tried the boat out, the shifting was backwards (move the throttle lever fwd and drive went into reverse / and move back and drive went into fwd.) the cables look new and I think it was just hooked up wrong?
Any ideas, thank-you for any and all advice!

dento29

Cadet
Re: 73 Mercruiser not shifting into gears ?

I have bought a 1973 Mercruiser I/O 120 hp , I have been using for a few times on the water, no problems. The last time out I was in fwd. gear at low rpms, and I increased the throttle lever, and drive seamed to come out of gear?
(no big noise) Tried to put back into gear and nothing, no forward or reverse? I shut down motor, put into neutral, started, pushed in neutral knob, shift fwd. - nothing / shift to reverse - nothing. Moved the dog house to check cable movement all appears to be moving correctly?

*When I first tried the boat out, the shifting was backwards (move the throttle lever fwd and drive went into reverse / and move back and drive went into fwd.) the cables look new and I think it was just hooked up wrong?
Any ideas, thank-you for any and all advice!

Hi, i seem to have the same problem..with the no forward or reserve. have you found out anything yet?
Many thanks Paul

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 Mercruiser not shifting into gears ?

first one: check the oil level in the drive and report back
second one: start you own post so it dosent get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.