73 merc 650 choke and loose wire

72 Roody

Cadet
Got a 73 Merc 650 65HP. Went to the lake last weekend and had some issues.

Choke won't work. Worked fine, then quit. Got'r home, pulled the cowling, and found the white wire on the left side at the top of the power pack was hangin. Looked at my manual and it says to goes to the Mercury Switch! Does anyone know where this switch is and does it have anything with the choke not working, because my batteries aren't charging either?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

tim123104

Cadet
Re: 73 merc 650 choke and loose wire

the mercury switch is a automatic kill on the motor, white wire is the 12v supply. that has nothing to do with your choke, that is a gray or a blue wire.

noahnsteph

Seaman

The mercury switch is located near the starter but as stated above it doesn't affect the choke. It prevents the motor from starting when the motor is tilted up.

72 Roody

Cadet

So with aftermarket tilt and trim this wire is useless?

Does anyone know what I can do to fix the choke?

tim123104

Cadet

it should be a one wire solenoid switch above the carbs with a gray wire. check it for 12v when pushing in the key in run position. if no 12v check the wire thru the harness, if you have 12v, replace the solenoid.

tim123104

Cadet

So with aftermarket tilt and trim this wire is useless?

Does anyone know what I can do to fix the choke?

the wire will still work for the merc switch with aftermarket tilt and trim, but if you dont use it cap it off it should have 12v with the key on.