73 65HP crankshaft interchange question

reach

Cadet
Hi all,<br /><br />I have a 1973 Evinrude 65 HP with a bad crank (the spline is severely worn). Actually I have two of them - I bought a 73 Johnson 65 HP for parts but one rod journal was damaged and its crank was bent.<br /><br />So anyway, I know 72-73 65HP motors used the same crank, but what other years/models should I be looking for parts from? Any other options - what powerheads would bolt up?<br /><br />Thanks, reach

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 73 65HP crankshaft interchange question

This is not an answer to your question, but something you mignt not have considered is having the crankshaft repaired by a machine shop.<br />To my understanding, the old splines are drilled out, and a new insert with fresh splines is pressed into the crankshaft with an interference fit.<br /><br />Do you know what caused the wear and has it been corrected?<br /><br />Hope this helps!

reach

Cadet

I've talked to a few local machine shops and outboard mechanics, and I can't find anyone who has a clue about repairing it. One guy on this board did it himself by pressing in a deep socket and machining a hex on the driveshaft. I might try that myself if I can't find a replacement before my dad (who knows more than I about machine work) gets back from the fishing season.<br /><br />I sent e-mail to a couple of places on the net that claim to respline crankshafts, and got no response. But I suspect it would be at least $200 US plus shipping both ways to get it fixed. If I can find one locally, it will probably be more economical to get a whole junker motor with a good crank.<br /><br />That's a good question about the cause for the wear. No, I don't know. I can only assume that the previous owner didn't apply enough grease, or maybe there was supposed to be an o-ring on the shaft. You can be sure I'll be reading the manual if I ever get to reassemble it. Is there anything else that can cause the driveshaft/crankshaft splines to be damaged? Here's a pic...<br /><br />
damaged_spline.jpg
<br /><br />reach

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you cant find someone there to fix it you might give Tom a call at Roehrs Machine Shop. He has done it for years. His number is 941-955-5246. He's in Florida so it may be just like you said, too costly to ship.<br /><br />If you call be sure to tell him you have two cranks. If the splines are good on the other one you can use them.

reach

Cadet

Thanks Dhadley. That's a great idea to use the splines from the other crank. I'll go back to looking for local machine shops with renewed vigour. If I show them the parts, they ought to be able to wrap their heads around machining out the old spline, turning down the "new" one and pressing it in. I imagine machining that case hardened steel is no cake walk, but that's why they get paid the big bucks. :)<br /><br />Thanks, reach

reach

Cadet

Well, I'm back to looking for a new crank. I took the "good" one with the bad splines out, and the #3 rod journal is quite badly pitted & worn. The #1 & #2 journals have one or two small pits as well. *arrgh* It's surprising it didn't self destruct like the other motor.<br /><br />So back to the original question: what crankshafts or powerheads will interchange with this '73 Evinrude 65 HP?