73 18 hp Fastwin

bobcj84

Cadet
Gentlemen,
I just purchased a 1973 18 hp Fastwin. It is equiped with electric start. My wife can not pull start this motor how can I convert to electric start for an inflatable application. On the front of the motor is a three prong plug I assume a cable is made for this. Also can this be converted to modern steering? I assume I need to find the steering link arm. Lastly where is the kill switch located for this motor?

Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 73 18 hp Fastwin

You need to get an owners manual. Try kencook.com

Stop switch should be on the front of the lower pan.

Electric start may have been an add on ... PL on BRP's website doesn't show any electrical connectors. You may have to make something up. BTW, BRP's website shows owners manual still available as PN 0206999.

bobcj84

Cadet

yes I know. The shop manual is in the mail and has not arrived yet.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I'm confused...you say it is electric start, then ask how to convert to electric start? Is there no starter and bracket under the cowl...is that why you have the better half pull starting it? If there are no teeth on the outside edge of the flywheel, no starter and no starter bracket, you will need these to convert it to electric start. After that, you can rig a solenoid and push button starter switch under the cowls...this requires cable hookups to a battery in the boat...for use as tiller steer or with remote controls.

bobcj84

Cadet

Yes the motor has a starter installed and a triangle shaped three prong plug right next to the rich/ lean knob. Where can I find how to add switch for starting. Yes I do realize I will need a battery for starting but will it need to be a full size marine battery?

Thanks in advance

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

You bet and you will need to make provisions to charge it as well (your motor has no charging).
Yours is an aftermarket starter deal, so either find a suitable plug/harness or make one. It may be cheaper and easier to enroll your wife in a health club and get her lifting weights. Your motor is 35 years old!

Your only other means would be to scour the OB salvage outfits, like tcoutboards.com, etc. Tashasdaddy has a more complete list to find the external harness.

lindy46

Captain

My '72 has a push button start on the starboard side of the lower cowl and a kill button on front of the lower cowl. Pretty simple 2 wire set up for both controls. Starter button activates the solenoid which turns the starter. Kill button grounds out the points.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

if there's a solenoid under hood, this shouldn't be too complicated.