73 , 150 w/Leaky carbs.

Sagabu

Seaman Apprentice
Ok , Im just now starting to learn about the outboards. <br /> I just bought a super cool and very nostalgic 73 Baja 1600 racing boat w/a past racing history as #925 navigated by Fred Miller previously of Baja. <br /> It has a 73 Mercury 150hp that looks to be the original engine as well.<br /> The boat is red, white,and blue and is in fabulouse unrestored condition asside from top coat fading and was stored primarily in an airplane hanger for many years.<br /> I purchaced it from a fella that bought it at an estate auction after Freds untimely death.<br /> I am restoring this boat to original condition.<br /> The previouse owner just had the carbs rebuilt at a local marina two weeks ago. They leak bad.<br /> The top carb is flowing fuel out the air intake and the other two look as if they are leaking at the butterfly shafts.<br /> The first thing I noticed when priming was that the marina broke off the top carbs filter screw (filters on top of carbs). I replaced the screw and fired the engine and found the other leaks w/in seconds.<br /> I really do not wish to argue w/the marina nor take the boat back to them again as they stated that they actualy ran the engine before they let it go and charged the fella $480.00. No way they ran the engine w/the broken screw, so I wouldnt take them my lawn mower as they lie. <br /> I am stumped as to why the leaks.<br /> Can anyone help? <br /> If I cannot fix the rebuilt carbs, I need a good source for ready to run carbs hopefuly local.<br /> I live in Marion , Ohio just 50 miles north of Columbus.<br /> Any good Merc mechanics out there ???<br /> Im ready to get this bad boy out before the winter hits.

Sagabu

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 73 , 150 w/Leaky carbs.

I have used the search modem and have gathered some info.<br /> I would still like to find a dependable local in line Merc mechanic to go over this engine and tune it for me. <br /> Preferably not a marina.

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gas leaking out of the front of the carb meant stuck floats on my 79 1400. If your not mechanically inclined there are some simple things you can try before bringing it to a pro.<br /><br />Get some fresh gas, in a fresh portable gas tank. Run the fuel line to the new tank. In the tank add the oil for a 50:1 mix, then add a can of seafoam. Run the engine on this tank of gas at idle for 10 minutes. Then shut off the engine and leave it overnite full of the mix. <br /><br />On these engines the most common problem is the gas in the carbs get's old and turns to gum. The gum sticks the float. The seafoam may clear out the gum. If this proceedure doen't work you only out the fresh gas/oil/seafoam money, which is less than 1 hour at a mechanic.<br /><br />Good luck.

Sagabu

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_4116.JPG