72 Ted Williams 7.5 unavailable part

wimico

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 72 Ted Williams 7.5 hp model 217.59450. The boot on the shift rod has disintegrated and the part is no longer available. Part no. 56051. Any ideas on how to fabricate one or does anyone out there have one?

M

mrcrabs

Re: 72 Ted Williams 7.5 unavailable part

you don't need a boot, you need a OMC shift shaft Oring and a brass washer, file the washer to fit the profile of the water pump and dremmel a drain relief slot in the washer and inlarge the washer's hole to fit wide on the shaft. pull all the crappy boot and wiper out, leave the old seal down in there if you can clean up the top side of the shifter seal area...I ruff mine up a bit with a file put some lube pn the OMC Oring slide it over the shifter rod, the use some indian head gasket shelac on the brass washer...point the drain slot and pofile filed part you dremeled in the washer and toward the water pump and glue it down. here is a pick of my first one
View attachment 153625minus the drain slotView attachment 153626 cost was about $2 and my time, you could even use 2 Orings...this is the common OMC shifter seal...I know the ID is 7/16 but can't remember the OD...Iboats has a part number but can't recall that either..but seems to me thers only one common OMC shifter Oring.

wimico

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 72 Ted Williams 7.5 unavailable part

you don't need a boot, you need a OMC shift shaft Oring and a brass washer, file the washer to fit the profile of the water pump and dremmel a drain relief slot in the washer and inlarge the washer's hole to fit wide on the shaft. pull all the crappy boot and wiper out, leave the old seal down in there if you can clean up the top side of the shifter seal area...I ruff mine up a bit with a file put some lube pn the OMC Oring slide it over the shifter rod, the use some indian head gasket shelac on the brass washer...point the drain slot and pofile filed part you dremeled in the washer and toward the water pump and glue it down. here is a pick of my first one
View attachment 153625minus the drain slotView attachment 153626 cost was about $2 and my time, you could even use 2 Orings...this is the common OMC shifter seal...I know the ID is 7/16 but can't remember the OD...Iboats has a part number but can't recall that either..but seems to me thers only one common OMC shifter Oring.
Thanks a bunch!!! I am going to use your method.
Thanks again.