'72 Johnson 100hp won't idle/restart when warm

TimW

Seaman Apprentice
I was given an old runabout with a 1972 Johnson 100hp Hydroelectric V4. The boat had been stored for about 4-6 years without being run. It was reported to run fine when last put it in the water. <br /><br />I have done the following work to date:<br /><br />1) Replaced water pump impeller;<br />2) Checked compression (1-115, 2-115, 3-114, 4-114);<br />3) Cleaned plugs (they looked like new "surface gap" Champions);<br />3) New tank and all new fuel/vac lines;<br />4) Replaced fuel pump (old one leaked on priming);<br />5) Rebuilt carbs (upper was clean, lower was badly varnished);<br />6) Decarbed using Seafoam;<br />7) Changed the oil in the lower unit;<br /><br />I've had the boat in the water a couple of times and run it a fair amount on muffs with the same behavior. It starts easily and runs well at idle when cold. After running for 15 minutes or so, it won't idle (dies) and get progressivly more difficult to start until it finally won't restart at all. Once it cools down, it restarts fine.<br /><br />I suspect that oil fouling of the plugs may be partially responsible for the problem. After running all four plugs will have wet oil and some carbon built up on them. <br /><br />I also think I have a slight water leak into the Number 3 cylinder. I don't have the typical "clean plug" seen with water leaks, but when I removed the spark plugs immediately following the decarb job, I noticed what I believe to be steam coming from the Number 3 spark plug hole. The other three cylinders did not exhibit this behavior. <br /><br />Obviously I need to find and fix the water leak. Hopefully this is just a head gasket, but what else should I check? <br /><br />Will the water leak cause the behavior described?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for your help.

TimW

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '72 Johnson 100hp won't idle/restart when warm

Bump back to page 1. Thoughts anyone? I know the head gasket is probably bad given the steam, but what about the performance problem when warm. Could that be caused by the water leak?

mrc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just an FYI, while the head gasket is the most<br />likely suspect, with my motor it was the exhaust<br />gasket.<br /><br />Mike

TimW

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the heads-up mrc. I'll probably try the head gaskets first 'cause I'm curious to inspect the heads and the cylinder bores anyway. If that doesn't fix the water leak I'll try the exhaust gaskets.<br /><br />Anybody have any thoughts on the idle/starting problem when warm? Could something in the ignition system, maybe the coil, be overheating?<br /><br />How do you know when a surface gap plug is worn out? These look fairly new, but since I don't know thier history, I think I'll replace 'em.

mrc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Track down the water leak first.<br /><br />Could the carbs be set too lean?<br /><br />I believe that model has the two stage choke whereby<br />a thermocouple prevents the choke from fully opening<br />until after the engine warms up. <br /><br />Mike

TimW

Seaman Apprentice

Idle mixture sure sounds like a possibility, though I would have guessed too rich instead of too lean given the amount of oil on the plugs. But then I'm still basically a newbie at this stuff.<br /><br />Problem is the 1972 100's have a fixed mixture setting on the carbs. I believe that Clymer says this was the only year Johnson built 'em this way. Seems an odd thing to do given the varibility in quality of available fuels.<br /><br />As far as the choke goes, I don't think it has an automatic choke at all. If it did, the previous owner removed it. I've just been using the manual choke switch on the engine. Full close to start, full open after a minute or so.

TimW

Seaman Apprentice

I pulled the head off and there was no sign of a water leak. The head gasket looked fine. There was a heavy coat of oily black carbon the piston tops and head. No white deposits or milky oil or anything else that looked like signs of water leaking into the combustion chamber.<br /><br />Maybe I was seeing exhaust gas or unburnt fuel and mistaking it for steam. That would explain why I wasn't seeing the typical "clean plug" associated with a water leak.<br /><br />I'm starting to think my performance problems may be oil fouling of the spark plugs. Would switching from the surface gap plugs to a standard plug help with this?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

The oily, black carbon sounds like it's running rich. If your premix is 50:1, the only oil getting to the plugs is with fuel. Were all the pistons and heads the same.? When you rebuilt the carbs, did you replace the needles and seats? Were the floats adjusted properly?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

TimW

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. <br /><br />Since the motor had set for so long I ran about 12 gallons of 24:1 through it first. Since then I've been running 50:1 or slightly richer to be on the safe side. I only pulled one head since my dealer only had one head gasket in stock. I've got a second one on order. But both pistons and both ends of the port side head looked identical. <br /><br />I believe the floats are correct. I don't have the OMC tool to set them, but I did the flip it over and eye-ball it method and they looked right without any adjustment.<br /><br />My carbs don't have needle valves. Apparently this was only true on the 1972 models. Under "Carburetor Adjustment" the Clymer says of the '72s: "Carburetors used on these engines have fixed high- and low-speed jets. Only an idle adjustment is required". It goes on to tell how to set the idle speed.

you might also check to see if you have spark once it warms up. night be a faulty temp. sensor

TimW

Seaman Apprentice

Ah good idea Walleye. I'll check that tonight. Can you give me some pointers on Johnson spark checking? I've seen some warnings about frying the electronics.