72 Evinrude 25hp water pump

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all! So I just took my water pump apart to replace the impeller and there was no key to hold it in place. There was what looked like a sheared pin from the drive shaft but I'm not sure. If this is the case, how do I remove the sheared off piece from the shaft? Also there was what appeared to be the remnants of an old gasket between the l/u and the lower plate of the pump, but there wasn't much left. Does this gasket come with the kit I just ordered? Any and all help is greatly appreciated - I'm kinda new to this stuff.:)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 72 Evinrude 25hp water pump

Welcome to IBoats. You impeller should of come with a new key to fit your shaft. You will need OMC adhesive to seal the groove in impeller housing, and to the bottom edge of impeller plate. Oil the impeller blades. Dip the impeller housing screws in gasket sealing compound. Might need a new grommet for on top of the impeller housing. If you dont have a manual and need more help someone will help you out more GL

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks HighTrim! Where can I find OMC adhesive and sealing compound, does it have to be a dealer? I have a Seloc manual, but I'm finding specifics for my motor lacking. Just so I'm clear, theres no gasket, I just use adhesive?
Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Im not 100 percent about your motor, you may get an o ring for the impeller housing to impeller plate, did it have one when you took it apart? I just use gasket sealing compound beneath the impeller plate, around the bottome of the impeller housing, on the screws, especially if you're in salt water, and i also put some on the lower unit when i bolt it back up, but ive been told thats not necessary. Dont forget to grease your drive shaft gears before sliding it back in. Did you find that impeller key, that s very important. Rotate the driveshaft clockwise while lowering the impeller housing over the impeller.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I removed the broken pin, and I ordered the water pump kit from iboats which should include a new pin. There wasn't any o-ring between the housing/plate or under the plate. There was some of what must have been previous adhesive between the plate the lower unit. Thanks again HT! Starting to feel better about this project!:)

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

The OMC adhesive is worth every penny. I just wish the shelf life was longer.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh by the way does any body know what plugs I should be using? My Seloc manual says champion J4J but these don't seem to exist, the champion book at the store says J8C?:confused:

fast_eddie

Cadet

Champion J4C is what you want. J8C is to hot for outboards. Can get by with J6C also. J4J is old number for J4C.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I got my pump rebuild kit today. Went to check it out and realized that the hole for the impeller key/pin is below the impeller plate:eek: Am I missing something or did I mess up my drive shaft somehow? Please help!!

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you completely remove the driveshaft from the lower unit?

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No I didn't, my seloc manual (lacking as it may be) said to be careful to not pull on the drive shaft. Is it possible to push it in to far? Anyway I ordered a used factory manual on ebay, I hope that will help.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I feel kinda dumb. I think that my problem was that the motor was in neutral, which caused the drive shaft to drop down about 1/2". I think I've got it figured out. Thanks for all input!

strikeback03

Seaman Apprentice

The driveshaft shouldn't be moving with the shifting. The pinion gear is open on the end though, I'd guess the driveshaft can drop lower in it. I can check the parts in my basement when I get home.

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that since the impeller pin was sheared off it allowed the drive shaft to drop a little when in neutral. I put it back together and started it in the tank, seemed to be running right. have to put it in the lake though fingers crossed