'71 Merc 9.8 110 will not start in neutral

bassindan

Recruit
Ran good in test tank, took to lake and started ok. Then when leaving dock would not start. Later noticed, will start in gear. That being throttle about half way. Put on trailer and strapped down. Will start in either gear but not neutral. Bring home, put in test tank will not start in neutral but will in gear. Took low idle dog off, so as to, bring throttle up about half way and will start in neutral. Bogs down as I go to low idle and stops, as if out of gas. Took carb off last night and cleaned. This morning, removed flywheel and checked wiring and points. Points set at .020". Cleaned everything, put back together and still have same problem. Will low compression cause this? Have no way of checking compression as of yet. Will have to buy gage. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '71 Merc 9.8 110 will not start in neutral

I would suggest checking compression before you do anything else.
I have a 69 110 that is doing the same thing, I have rebuilt carb and fuel pump, checked points and replaced plug. After coming
in off the lake pulled cover off and noticed that there is a pretty good leak from the upper crank shaft seal, just picked up a compression
gauge but have not had time to try check it yet.
Doug