71 Merc 1350 Control box

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone here for their help to all.

Ok, I have the original controller for a Merc 1350 Serial Number 3037451. Seems that the controls are backwards. Pushing the controls Forward ( Toward Bow) Puts the boat in reverse and pushing the controller astern places the boat in forward. Would someone please assist me in how to rectify this as the boat has been ran this way for about 5 years and this can pose a risk to someone trying to run my boat as well as hoping it has not done any engine damage

Adam

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: 71 Merc 1350 Control box

Wow, its a single lever.....something tells me (as you can mount the lever on either side of the box I think), that your cables are going forward, and the box if mounted 180 from normal. Nothing else makes sense

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice

Scatty,

Thanks. the box i believe can only be mounted one way, that is with the Tach connection facing the bow and the key toward the stern. The handle can only go on the outside so the box is mounted properly....

Hmmm

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Well, its a weird one on me. Lets wait and let some others chime in here. Has me baffled (I have a 1350)..

OldMercsRule

Captain

I talked with ASR on the tele, and when he told me the part about runnin' upside down fer a few years I guessed the previous owner may have the cables reversed on the engine, (which could concievably give ya only forward), or someone switched the cams in the corntrol box. I figgured the BIG GUNS would know what happened. JR

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice

OldMercs,

Just a FYI. I just had the guy that we spoke of on the phone here, he sdtated that the cables are not reversed. It was somthing that he looked at when i had told him. also Thank alot for the call and the advice and knowledge that you have to share it was a great help. We are replacing the L/U tomm and will run it with muffs to verify frwrd and reverse. We are also going to drop the L/U oil; and I will let you know what it looked like

OldMercsRule

Captain

OldMercs,

Just a FYI. I just had the guy that we spoke of on the phone here, he sdtated that the cables are not reversed. It was somthing that he looked at when i had told him. also Thank alot for the call and the advice and knowledge that you have to share it was a great help. We are replacing the L/U tomm and will run it with muffs to verify frwrd and reverse. We are also going to drop the L/U oil; and I will let you know what it looked like

SOMETING IS WRONG WITH THE SET UP: ASR!! It is either the cables or the cams inside the box, (which I suspect), JR

asr2001

Seaman Apprentice

SOMETING IS WRONG WITH THE SET UP: ASR!! It is either the cables or the cams inside the box, (which I suspect), JR

Roger That,

Will have it looked at todayu when we place the L/u back on and drop the iol. I found a Merc certified Mechanic that may be willing to comer over and take a look. Will report to u the results of the oil tom. am....