71' Merc 115

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone comment on the 1971 115 hp Merc O/B? I am looking at a boat/motor/trailer package with this motor on it.

He says the motor has 140 compression in all of the cylinders. But it has a hard time starting cold. After the first start it is easy to start.

Comments/opinions please?

Are parts readily available?

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: 71' Merc 115

I have a 1976 115 and love it. Mine is not "hard" to start cold, but doesn't start at the bump of a key either.

But I'd have it started in front of me or better yet taken out on the water for a test run first if that can be done.

Also check the LU fluid to make sure it's not contaminated.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Mine is not "hard" to start cold, but doesn't start at the bump of a key either.

Yep, me too (135 72.....cold starts on the Tower of power)..long way up for the pumps to push fuel, 3 carbs, 2 chokes...I buy it in a heartbeat with 140...just get a few old Mercs guys if ya can to take a look-see..

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help guys! I am going to take a look at the motor today :)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tin, Some things to look at. Lower unit lube should be clear. Milky color indicates water leakage. Wiring will likely be losing its insulation, unless it has been replaced. A new wiring harness for the motor is available aftermarket for $100. The boat wiring harnesses are not available cheaply.

Teletale water output at idle on the muffs should be strong and no more than lukewarm. If not so, a waterpump impeller is in your future.

Spark plug wire insulation should be good. After market wires are available for <$10 Each. Distributor cap and ignition components are available for premium price. Battery should charge with motor running. Check for voltage above 13.2VDC. if so, charging system is good.