71 60hp Evinrude will not stop

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I replaced the control box and coil which were bad and now the motor dosn't shut off with the key anymore. When I turn off the key there is no power to the purple wire on the box. I also heard the hot alarm for the first time in the twelve years I've had the boat. I replaced the impleller about a month ago and ran the boat without a problem. Now that I have done this replacement it has another problem. are thy related?? I can get it to stop buy disconnecting the battery. :confused: :mad:

Namcali

Seaman
Re: 71 60hp Evinrude will not stop

usually disconnecting the battery will not stop the motor. There is something wrong in the wiring. Check the alternator/generator and the power pack. Get the manual and you will be okay hopefully.<br /><br />Nam

alcan

Commander

Hi Skeffer<br />The electrical system on your motor needs to have a battery connected to the system at all times when the motor is running. To disconnect the batt during operation can cause further damage to elect. componates. If you need an emergency shut down use the choke. You said you replaced the contol box. You may not have replaced it with the correct wiring for your motor. You my also hve problems with diodes. This has to do with the shifting system. I strongly recomend that you aquire a manual covering this model and study it. An after market Clymer or Seloc manual will do. Because these three cyl models changed wiring a little each year (1968-72) you will have to study the after market books very closly, (they might be a bit confusing in this case). If you could find the OEM manual for this exact model it might be easier. Either way take your time. Follow the step by step diagnoistic procedeure, and you will figure his out in no time. If you hunt and poke at this you may never get to he bottom of it. With out proper procedures you can damage faster than repair.

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Alcan I do have the manual and I have checked it several times. I have checked the manual and also the diagrams you sent me last year. The box checkes out for my motor. I will check the diodes on the shifter. Please explain what this has do do with not stopping when key is turned off.

alcan

Commander

Hi Skeffer<br />The gearshift electrical system consists of the remote control,wiring harness, shift control solenoids,the blocking diode,shift diodes and rectifier diodes.<br /> When the ignition key switch is turned off, the key switch controlled current path to the shift control is opened. A forward boat movement could be noticed, since the forward is spring loaded for fail-safe engagement. The extent of this movement is dependent upon engine RPM at the time of cut-off. A second source of current for the shift control is provided by the alternator stator. This current is rectified by the shift diodes (two positive) at the terminal block on the motor, and two of the charging system negative diodes. Current is therefor supplied to the shift control until flywheel rotation stops.<br /> There is a blocking diode in the lead from theignition switch "I" terminal to the shift selector switch. The purpose of the diode is to prevent the electrical path of the alternator supplied current from reaching the "I" terminal of the ignition switch. If the blocking diode fails in the closed position the engine will not shut off. If the diode fails in the open position the engine would remain in forward gear until alternator output energized the shift control circut. This would mean starting in gear. Does this make sence?

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes it does to me. I am familiar with electrical processes. I will have to take a look at the diode. I have seen this one on the shift selector when I had it apart awhile ago. I will check this out again. I do not remember anything in the book about this tho hence why I was lost. Thanks.

Richok

Petty Officer 3rd Class

skeffer I have an 1979 85 hp that done the same thing. The Evinrude manual has a key switch stop circuit test. May be this will help. May not be exactly like yours though.<br /><br />1. seperate two wire connectors between power pack and timer base.<br /><br />2. Calibrate ohmeter to high ohms. Connect red lead to D terminal in the timer base end of the connector and the black meter lead to clean engine ground.<br /><br />3. Turn the key switch on.<br /><br />4. The meter should indicate an open circuit. Any needle movement remove the black/yellow stripe wire from the key switch connected to M terminal with the ohmeter still connected.<br /><br />5.If the meter indicates an open circuit with wire removed from the switch. Replace switch.If a closed circuit (any resistance) is indicated repair or replace the black/yellow striped lead between the key switch and ignition coil end of the four wire connector.<br /><br />This is straight from the manual. Hope this helps.