71 60 HP Johnson no neutral

kenk

Cadet
I'm a newbie on boat engines but recently purchased a boat. I have a Johnson 1971 60HP with Hydro-electric shifter. The problem I'm having is with neutral. When starting up my motor dry or in water the prop is turning with the shift selector in the neutral position. When I shift into forward it works fine when I shift to neutral or Reverse there is only forward. The only thing that I can see when I take apart the shifter is that the roller ball that follows the shifter is not springing into the notch in the bottom of the shift lever. There is electrical current running to that mechanism but it doesn't move. Any suggestion for fixing this kind of problem. I could post pictures if needed.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 71 60 HP Johnson no neutral

You really need a manual to work on those.<br />Here's a copy of a past post. Hope it helps.<br /><br />(Hydro Electric Shift)<br /><br />The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.<br /><br />You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Preminum Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube) <br /><br />In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire. <br />In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one. <br />In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear) <br /><br />To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed. <br /><br />This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).<br /><br />With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

jimtodd72

Seaman

I've had this problem and been through a couple of these shift switches. That roller switch fits into a notch in the throttle control lever and sends 12 volts to the lower unit (or no voltage when it is in forward; forward is the default). Both times I replaced the switch, it was not bcause the switch had failed electrically but because the spring had failed not allowing it to return to the neutral position. Chances are this is your problem and the engine itself is fine. <br />This switch (and I forget it's part number or description; if I find it I'll post it later) is rather expensive but you can approach fixing this two ways. You can replace the switch with the replacement part and I beleive it is in the neighborhood if $75-$100 if you can find it. What I did after two replacements was to get a three way off-on-on marine push-pull light switch which goes:<br />off=all the way in<br />on=half way out<br />on=all the way out<br />I mounted this into my dash and ran the wires from inside the shift box to it. It takes a little experimenting to figure out which wires go where but let me know if you want to pursue this and I'll get you the diagram. All I do is make sure the switch is in the half way position for neutral to start then push it in for forward or pull it all the way out for reverse. You do have to take care that this switch is in a location and that it will not get bumped out of gear but I've not had this problem at all. It's probably not the most ideal solution but I've been running my 1971 100hp Johnson like this for years with no problems at all. By the way, the cost for this fix is $4-$5 and I've not worn one of these switches out yet.<br />Don't despair, if it is in running order, you've got a grea engine. These hydro-electric shift engines take a special kind of care and maintenance but once you figure out how to maintain them, they are fine.<br />Let me know if you would like any more detailed instructions on this fix.<br /><br />Jim

jimtodd72

Seaman

Ken:<br />I found the part you seek. It is called a switch and cabble assembly. It can be found at www.go2marine.com. Their part number is 384007 so I'm sure you can search that number on their site and find it. It runs $135.00. Again, I'm more than hapy to help with the $5 fix though.<br /><br />Jim

kenk

Cadet

Thanks for the help. It is the switch inside the control box that is broke. I checked voltage and there is current running to it, it is the spring inside the switch that is bad.<br /><br />I am probably going to find a new switch for inside the control box but if you can pass along the wiring for the $5 dollar fix I would appreciate that as an interm fix.<br /><br />kenkauno@verizon.net<br /><br />thanks Ken

Mikael-Block

Seaman

Hey...all.<br />I just got a 1970 60 hp with same problem...<br />I havn't checked any thing yet, but I like to have that diagram too...<br /><br />mikael-block@ofir.dk<br /><br />How many amp, are the solenoid need ?.<br /><br />Mikael

jimtodd72

Seaman

Give me a day or so and I'll get those diagrams and maybe some pictures to you.<br /><br />Jim

kenk

Cadet

Ok, I decided to buy the switch instead of wiring in a cheaper version. The wires were color coded for easy reconnection (green, blue, purple). Now, after putting it in the water yesterday I found that reverse is forward and forward is reverse. Is is possible that the wires are different? Could it be that the 12v power is going to different wires. I wouldn't mine just using it like it is but it doesn't seem like I'm getting WOT using reverse as forward.