707HF Chrysler (73' 70hp) question on electronics

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a rather generic question. Can anyone take me through the electronic sequence of this particular motor. What are all the functions of the different parts and how they work together? I think I have a basic grasp of it, but maybe someone knows this like the back of their hand and could put it into simple terms to understand. I am an electrician/IT tech by trade, but that does not make me a mechanic. I know the theory, not the function. But this I do know, that when your trouble shooting something it is best if you understand the basic operation of the equipment and how it works together.

So, if when I get my motor back together and it does not spark or does so erratically or something like that then I can start to diagnose and not just take wild stabs in the dark. Although I know that the helpful people on here can just about diagnose any problem eventually. If there is a thread that already discussed this point me to it because I did not find it. Thanks!!

I have detailed pictures of all the different electrical parts, so if there is a part that you are not sure what type I have just ask and I will post a picture. This I know; I have a stator with only two wires. Magnapower Ignition by Motorola. Solid state voltage regulator. Distributor. Coil. Capacitor. Breaker. I think that covers it all. Oh, I know this is a very bold and potentially overwhelming question, but can someone post how to troubleshoot/test each part? I went to CDIelectroncs web site, but like on the stator, they just say to send it in and they will repair then send back. I did not find any other info on it. I do have a wiring diagram for this motor that came in my manual.

Thanks again guys, I know that this could be helpful to others in the future.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 707HF Chrysler (73' 70hp) question on electronics

Ok, so I read the manual I have. That always helps some, huh. Found testing procedures on the stator, more or less just making sure its not "shorted" to the ring and/or had continuity between the two wires.

Very detailed instructions on the regulator.

Has specs for the points on the distributor, 0.014"

Circuit breaker, got that, it is a non-push reset.

So the Coil, Capacitor, and Motorola box are the only ones I cannot find info about. I would still like to hear a breakdown on how it all works together also. I will post pics of the items in question. If there is anything else anyone can think of to check, or comment above and beyond what the manual talks about (personal experience), that would be great

Attachments

• DSC02580.jpg
    DSC02580.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02579.jpg
    DSC02579.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02590.jpg
    DSC02590.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0