70 hp Johnson electrical problems ????

jspitzer

Cadet
i,ve got a 1985 70hp Johnson. I had a new powerpack and stator put on it last fall. I,ve taken it out a few times this year and every time i do it misses. it doesn,t matter weather i'm going fast or slow, it acts like i,m turning the key off and on. But it runs fine till it gets warmed up. i've checked all the wireing for shorts and seems to be fine. I'm thinking it is in the electrical???? sure could use some info if anyone has a clue....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 70 hp Johnson electrical problems ????

Is this problem the reason for having the stator and powerpack replaced?<br /><br />When warmed up and the problem occurs, at a slow rpm, does it miss all the time or just when you move the engine sideways (electric harness wire shorting)?<br /><br />Disconnect the black/yellow wire at the powerpack (note that it will be impossible to shut the engine down with the key switch with that wire disconnected). If the problem ceases to exist, it would be due to either a faulty ignition switch or pinched wire in the wiring harness (usually the switch).

jspitzer

Cadet

last year the motor quit all together, I replaced the powerpack thinking this is what it might of been, that didn't work. then i took it to a dealer and they replaced the stator the motor runs but still cuts out. The engine cuts out even if i am going straight.

jspitzer

Cadet

Joe, I tried the black and yellow wire at the powerpack and it didn't seem to be that, do you have anty other ideas? could it be fouled plugs? The motor runs kind of rough at idle and seems to cut out after about a half hour of running.

Walker

Captain

Check and clean all ground wires on the engine block.