70 h.p. Chrysler thermostat

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1973 Chrysler 70hp, model 707HF, and I am wondering if it has a thermostat in it.

The reason I ask is because I cannot find where you can get them online for that particular model or year. But that might just be me, I am known for not being able to find things some times.

Just thought I would put this out there in case someone else has had the same issue, and for some advice.

Thanks.

john from md

Commander
Re: 70 h.p. Chrysler thermostat

Look for a rectangular box at the top of the cylinder head. If you have a thermostat, it will be there. Some of the older engines did not have a separate access to the thermostat. In order to get to it, you had to pull off the entire head cover plate.

I don't know if this applies to your model but it might.

John

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 70 h.p. Chrysler thermostat

Yea, it does. Took it off last night. Started to notice something wrong when I was pulling out bolts with corrosion on about the middle section or so. Then when attempting to take the cylinder head cover off the cylinder head (which had never been removed before) I snapped all three bolt heads off. They had been completely corroded in there.

That is really the least of my worries. I have dealt with corroded bolts before. Just not sure what all I am going to try and do with this motor at this point. Thanks for the advice though.