70 Evinrude horn and engins slows down

newportguy

Cadet
Hi everyone,<br /><br />Was out in the boat today things started great. Was running out the harbour and the horn sounded with a steady buzz. Engine would run but would not open wide open. I have disconnected VRO and lines and I am using premix. I did powerwash the boat this morning and may have gotten water in the switch... would this casue the horn to go or I am looking at soemthing else?

alcan

Commander
Re: 70 Evinrude horn and engins slows down

It sounds like you have an over heat problem. Either your water pump is not working or the t-stat. Maybe a stopage some where. When the overheat sensor goes off it wiil sound the horn and put the ignit module into slow mode. The S.L.O.W. mode will cut rpm.

newportguy

Cadet

Hi Alcn,<br /><br />The tele tale stream is very strong...is this indicator that the pump is pumping fine ?

ob

Admiral

It's an indication the the pump is moving some water only.Doesn't tell anything as to whether the T/stat may be stuck closed.Post the year model of your engine so we can be sure whether it is equipped with the s.l.o.w. system.Also I assume that you disconnected the vro alarm wires when you bypassed the vro .

newportguy

Cadet

Hi OB,<br /><br />The engine is a 1995 Evinrude 70 hp. A friend of mine who had VRO on his boat disconnected mine... what should I look for as to where I need to disconnect. As for pumping if the water is coming out the stream does this mean the thermostat is open ? How would I tell if I have a bad Thermo Stat ? And where is it located ?<br /><br />Thanks a lot guys for the help. Larry

ob

Admiral

Yep that engine has the s.l.o.w. Trace the wire harness from the vro pump under the carb area to its amphenol connector on the port side of the engine.It should be disconnected and secured from swinging loose.This will disable the no oli and fuel restriction vro alarms.<br /><br />Now from the oil reservoir there should also be two wires that lead to the same side of the engine to their bullet connectors .They should also be unplugged.This will disarm the low oil alarm.<br /><br />The T/stat housing is located just above the top sparkplug.It's a four bolt flange.There is a service bulliten that calls for a change of the pressure bypass spring and does away with the tell/tale restrictor and just uses the 3/8" hose through a grommet(provided in kit) for the waterpump indicator.If the engine is overheating it may be evident from touch checking the head covers and block with hand at idle on the hose.If you can't keep your fingers on it for several seconds ,it's likely overheating.Best way to test is by getting a 163 degree thermo melt stik from a dealer and mark several locations .It also may not be evident at idle that the engine is overheating but that the T/stat may not allow enough flow at higher rpms under load to cool engine thoroughly.<br /><br />See if the alarms are disconnected and if they are I would just simply replace the waterpump and T/stat assy. for peace of mind.Make sure you get the factory pump and T/stat as they will provide the right upgrade kit for your engine.Good luck and post back with your findings.

newportguy

Cadet

Thanks OB,<br /><br />I see by your profile you a Whaler fan like me and have the same engine.... Nice to see someone that has the same interest. Thanks for the suggestion... Am I undersatnding that there is an upgraded t-stat and water pump or just an upgraded t-stat

ob

Admiral

The pump is basically the same but does away with the lower "o" ring under impeller.Instructions are in the pump kit.<br /><br />Yea ,I love my little Whaler.It's my second one and I still miss my first one.<br /><br />When your engine was acting up ,if it was going into the s.l.o.w. mode(overheating) the rpms shoud have dropped to around 2500.Otherwise ,if the vro alarm harness is still connected ,the fuel restriction alarm is also a constant tone but does not limit the rpms through powerpack.Just a note.

newportguy

Cadet

Thanks OB,<br /><br />I think the slow is the problem.... I am going to check my fuel lines though. I have 2 wires doscinnected in my harness and one is a tan one that are close to the fuel pump. My tank is not in the boat so no wires there to deal with. I will call tomorrow and see what a new pump and T-stat cost. Good piece of mind if nothing else. What size Whaler and model do you have ? Are you a member on the Continious wave site ? Sned me an email if you would like...<br /><br />Thanks Larry :)

ob

Admiral

My present boat is a 96' 15 ft Whaler Dauntless center console.My previous Whaler was a 15 ft.sport model with a 70 hp Johnson.When I originally purchased the sport it was equipped with a 2 cyl.no frills 60 hp. Evinrude.Good engine.Just didn't have T/T .It really flew with the 70 on it.A buddy of mine in the early 80's had a 13 ft. blue /white sport model rigged with a 35 Rude.I liked his little boat so much ,I had to get me one.<br />Not a memeber of the Continuous Wave site.