7.5 Mercury drive shaft not aligned correctly

Drobles83

Cadet
I have a 7.5 Mercury 1983. When I replaced the impeller, the drive shaft did not align correctly. Now my neutral is closer to the reverse on shifter and I end up starting the engine while in foward gear. And my reverse does'nt work. Can you tell me how I can align the lower unit in order for gear to be correct on shifter? Not very convenient starting in foward and unable to go reverse. Thank you for any help offered.<br /><br />Drobles83

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 7.5 Mercury drive shaft not aligned correctly

You'll have to drop the lower unit again. Select neutral on the lower unit. If you don't have a spare shift shaft laying around use a small shifter closed up on the splines (not really recommended, but sometimes you can only use the tools you have). Then select neutral on the engine selector lever and bolt it all together again. Easy!<br /><br />Chris...............

Drobles83

Cadet

New at boat motors, probably stupid question. How do you go about selecting neutral on lower unit? Before I lower the lower unit should I have the shifter on Neutral and then lower lower unit?<br />Thanks for info, you are really helping alot.<br /><br />Drobles83

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The easiest way to shift the lower unit off the motor is with a pair of pliers - just don't use them on the splined area. In neutral, the prop will spin freely. In forward, it will "ratchet" in one direction. In reverse it will spin freely about 60-degrees in either direction and then spin the driveshaft. I the unit is in neutral and the shift handle is in neutral, you're home free...<br />- Scott

Drobles83

Cadet

I want to thank Chinewalker and Jajeeper for their help in aligning my shifter on lower unit. Worked like a charm last night. Thanks fellas.<br /><br />Drobles83