7.5 HP Merc wont start without squirting fuel into carb

Cornell

Cadet
I have a 7.5 HP Merc 1973 that I bought new. It has been a great motor and only used about 4 times per year since new. When at the dock with dry carburetor, I put fuel hose on and pump it up till hard. I used to hear fuel squirt out the front of carb after bulb was hard. It would fire up immediately. This year I don't hear it squirt or see excess fuel come out. When it doesn't it wont start. But if I squirt fuel or starter fluid into the carb it fires right up and stays running and it runs good! I have taken the carburetor apart twice. Everything is clean and in good order. I sprayed carb cleaner and compressed air everywhere. Took out the jets and cleaned. I couldn't believe the gaskets were in good shape and looked very re-usable. So, since I have to wait a few days to get new gaskets, I thought I might as well put back together and it should run good. And it does but still won't start after a empty carburetor. Once it runs after spraying the carb with fuel it will continue to start and continue to run good. Somehow I am unable to get the carb bowel full enough from squeeze bulb to allow fuel to be pulled from the venturi to start.
Spark is good. Idles down very good. Confused. The only thing I could do now is change all gaskets and try it. But when running I sprayed windex around base of carb and it didn't suck any in so I believe that to be good.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 7.5 HP Merc wont start without squirting fuel into carb

You probably need to rebuild the fuel pump AND the carb, using new gaskets and valves.

Laddies

Banned

Our fine new fuel has swelled the viton needle tip up and lowered the fuel level in the float bowl, clean the carb pay especial attention to the low speed pickup tube and the float level.

Cornell

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestions. You guys are great!