7.5 Gamefisher shuts off.

24tesla

Seaman
7.5hp Gamefisher, runs at idle in full choke, half choke, and wide open. I can put it in forward, and it runs in full choke. In half choke in forward it runs 5 to 8 seconds then shuts off. In Wide ope in forward, it shuts off in 2 to 3 seconds. It will idle all day in forward in all three settings, but in half choke and run, as soon as I give throttle it shuts off. Carb is VERY clean, float not sticking. Air vent open on tank, even loosened the cap, and even taken off. I am going to replace the hoses inside the engine housing, and the hose and pump bulb coming from the tank tonight. Anything else I should look for?<br /> :confused: :confused: :confused:

24tesla

Seaman
Re: 7.5 Gamefisher shuts off.

Think I have solved the mystery. Several things were at play here. The pen filter at the end of the pickup tube in the tank was gummed up with old oil or something. Replaced that and I get better flow. But still had the problem. Pulled the carb back apart and found that the brand new pump diaphram had a small rip in the side. Will get a new kit tomorrow (Mon.) and replace it and let you know if this does it.

24tesla

Seaman

That was it. Fuel Pump diaphram. Problem seems to be solved. Will get it to the lake this evening and test it for a little while.

24tesla

Seaman

Ok, any help with this would be great. I have replaced the hose, gas tank, fittings, both male and female at the engine side of the hose. Carb has been rebuilt. Motor only runs in Half Choke, and I have to pump the primer bulb to keep gas in it. Or it will run out. I am ordering yet another carb kit, but was wondering, do the Reeds play into the vac. that pulls the gas to the engine?

Kevin I am having the same problem with my 7.5 1980 gamefisher. I'm thinking maybe a carb adjustment of some sort?? maybe not enough air??<br />Hopefully some of you insightful people out there have some hands on knowledge about this problem.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a fuel pump problem.

24tesla

Seaman

The fuel pump in these is a small red rubber tube thing, and it has been replaced, and inserted in the correct position, 45 deg. from centerline of the 2 bolt holes. Still no change. I am looking at the diagrams, and see a White Rubber needle seat that I do not recall seeing in the carb. I am going to check into this.

24tesla

Seaman

Well, changed all the carb parts, and it runs in normal mode, but not to full power. I am changing the Reed Vavles next.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Usually bad reeds the motor will chuff out of the carb.Just for a test raise the tank above the level of the carb Im betting it will run.<br /> Pull the spark plug and slowly pull it over see if you can feel crankcase pressure.If the reds are leaking or you have weak crank seals the crankcase pressure will be weak or none.

marktechie

Recruit

Hey Kevin, you seem to be very familar with the Gamefisher 7.5. I have a question related to some of the info already given. I,ve replaced that red rubber tube( fuel pump ) twice in a short amount of time between replacing. Have you noticed if that part is not very durable or maybe I might have another problem? It seems to split towards the end. I kinda wish there was a heavy duty replacement. It kinda sucks being on the lake and getting stuck on the other side trying to get back to the lauch with the trolling motor not once but twice!!!!I still enjoy fishing , but it gets frustrating when you spend most of your time fiddle farting with the motor trying to get it running. thanks for any tips you might have.

24tesla

Seaman

Keep a spare and the wrench to get the red thing off. I have only had one split so far. You also have to make sure that the thing is inserted at the correct angle. If you need I will scan the doc and email you. Let me know. email me at:<br />kfox38 at comcast dot net<br /><br />(To be honest, I think I am going to get this running good and sell it, and find me a good OMC or Merc 15 horse.)

marktechie

Recruit

I do have a a picture that shows the position of the red tube, but thanks for the offer. I think if you insert it in the wrong position it probably wouldn't run right. I think i'm with you I probably will try to sell it after I replace the red tube and get a motor that is more reliable. thanks for the info.<br /><br /><br />Mark

24tesla

Seaman

No prob.<br /><br />I used to have one I never had issues with, and the guy I got this from never had issues, but it sat for 3 years and is now causing issues. I am going for reliable and bigger.

kl2657

Recruit

Where are you finding parts for this motor? Mine is exhibiting the same symptoms, so keep us posted if you find a fix.

24tesla

Seaman

Originally posted by kl2657:<br /> Where are you finding parts for this motor? Mine is exhibiting the same symptoms, so keep us posted if you find a fix.
http://home.earthlink.net/~brixent/ <br /><br />He has parts. Sears still carries a lot of them. Also, local small engine repair places can get most parts.

Kevin<br />Made a adjustment on the choke linkage on my 80 7.5 gamefisher and now its running fine with the choke pulled out half way when I start it up when cold: and with the choke in all the way once it warmed up. There's two little pin holes where the choke plate and I slipped that little rod in the next one so the choke button only goes out half way max but it idles fine and when shifting into gear it runs fine when I open up the throttle it goes.<br /><br />Just a thought.

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer