7.4L - Putting it back together!

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am a COMPLETE noob when it comes to I/O's and I have one that needed a bit of work. The previous owner ran it on some really old, nasty bad gas and the intake valves became stuck. He tried to start it repeateadly and it got jacked up. The intake valves were stuck due to the varnish and so all of the intake pushrods were bent/broken.

I tore the the top end down and took the intake manifold and heads to a machine shop. They cleaned up the intake manifold for me and did a complete valve job on the heads.

I am now wanting to put it all back together and I have a couple of questions about the cooling system and what parts need to be "marine" parts.

Cooling....

This engine is in my skipjack and it doesn't appear to work the way that I expected it to. The exhaust exits out through-hull instead of out through the outdrive which I guess is fairly common. The raw water intake looks like it is connected through a filter or seperator of some kind (I assume to filter clams and other saltwater bourne life that would gum everything up over time. There is a hose coming off of what looks like a raw water pump connected to the crank that connects to this filter, and then to the through-hull. In this configuration does the boat NEED to be submerged in the water to run the engine? I am not pumping raw water through the engine, I have a fresh water cooler that is connected to this.

I tore it all apart in a bit of a frenzy, but I still don't quite understand how and where the raw water goes. The freshwater is obviously pretty straightforward, but does the raw water eventually exit through the exhaust?

Replacement parts...what needs to be "marine"? I've already replaced the distributor cap/rotor with marine cap/rotor and wires.

I am also looking at replacing...

All hoses
Starter
Alternator
Belt(s)

Anything else that anyone can think of as useful information would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to fire this thing up in my driveway without having to haul it to the marina just to get the timing end everything else set correctly.

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 7.4L - Putting it back together!

Thanks for the links and the info. When you say "what model" what do you mean? It's a Penta 280 outdrive and it seems to me like it's a gen V BBC engine. I don't think it's an actual Volvo engine/outdrive combo...just the outdrive.

I've ordered a marine starter and alternator and I'm taking it in to a shop for a new fuel tank and I'll replace all of the fuel related components at that time.

tpenfield

Staff member

OK, I'll give it a shot, having tore down my 7.4L Merc last year.

It sounds like you have thru-hull exhaust . . . no big deal.

Get a Fel-Pro Marine gasket set for putting the engine back together.

Bigger engines with beefy outdrive have a separate 'sea water' pump to pull the water in for the outdrive or even a fitting thru the hull (as an option). The strainer that is in line with the sea water pump is to filter out the marine life, as you mentioned.

You mentioned fresh water cooling? If so, that circulates anti-freeze/coolant through the engine and to a heat exchanger. the sea water flows through the heat exchanger and out the exhaust to provide the cooling.

I hope this helps.

wrench 3

Commander

One of your questions has not been answerred. If you run the engine without a water suply to the raw water intake, the impeller in the raw water pump will be destroyed.