7.4L (L29) not hitting WOT (got a rinda)

1990dtgl98

Seaman
Hey everyone. So I have a 1999 mercruser 7.4L (L29) that I've been chasing a issue with it only being able to hit 3600 at WOT. It has new plugs and cap/rotor. I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator and pump. Stock props on bravo 3. 4 people, 20gal gas, no bottom buildup, 23' open bowrider. 3600rpm and 36mph is the most I can get out of it. Almost has a bit of a vibration like it's only running on 7 cylinders, and the hole shot I feel should be better for a 7.4 with a duo prop. Also smells slightly gassy running (could be in my head though).

I finally got a rinda after being out of stock for a while. I thought I could do a load test but apparently that's only mefi4. Might have to pull plug wires and see if 1 cylinder doesn't change.

Plugged in with key on engine off, I measured some parameters. Tps is .58v in neutral, and goes to 4v at wot but the throttle position says 82% open. Could this be causing the WOT issue? Throttle body looks fully open.

Here's what else I logged quickly at idle on earmuffs

IAC position: 82
IAC base pos: 82
Injector pulse width: 4.4ms
Map voltage: 2.13v
Manifold pressure: 14.8in

Is manifold idle pressure low?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Compression numbers?
Cylinder drop test?
Fuel pressure?

1990dtgl98

Seaman
The compression test I'm going to have to redo, the gauge was incorrect I found out working on a tractor. So that's going to have to be a winter test.

Drop test not done yet.

Fuel pressure 41psi. At idle