7.4 flame arrestor to KN

Myride85

Seaman Apprentice
Thinking about getting the KN flame arrestor air filter.
Have read a lot of good reviews for this.
Question is, what do I do with the 2 PCV oil air tubes that lead into the current arrestor?
Is there a clip of some sort that clips to the new setup?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what are you trying to do besides lighten your wallet and add a shiny bit to your engine compartment? your current flame arrestor already flows more air than the motor needs assuming its clean

and yes, the vapor tubes get clipped to the air cleaner.

Myride85

Seaman Apprentice
Current flame arrestor is clean. But as said heard great reviews and allows more air. Gain in HP(not much) if you see the difference in the 2 you'd see that that KN breaths way more. Could care less about the chrome really.

Copied from another forum:
The only real standout was flame arrestors. My eyes are now opened!

results: only changes here were what's on top the carb

Velocity stack(hat) 565hp@5400

stock(8"x3") HP500 flame arrestor 544hp@5300 -21hp

Gaffrig (8"x5") SS screen arrestor 557hp@5400 -8hp

K&N (9"x5") K&N element 565hp@5350 -0 hp

I will be using the large K&N filter arrestor!!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
your money, however you wont see any HP gains.

alldodge

Staff member
Smitty on Offshore only is a highly respected and has his own dyno. He compared several different flame arrestors on a 500 some HP BB MPI. The worst was KN and best was Merc original

Myride85

Seaman Apprentice
But won't it make it sound better? LOL JK
Interesting. Will do more research. My cousin who has been a marine mechanic for about 40-50yrs. Even suggested it and even has them on his boat

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Those are some pretty impressive numbers!

Although I'd be curious to know what the prior numbers were. A stock naturally aspirated 454 won't even come close to 500 hp, let alone 400

Many studies have proven the mentioned air filter system restricts air flow thus dampening performance (oil in the media as recommended by the manufacturer)

The filter system does help clean the air introduced to the engine when operating on land, cars can benefit from this but as far as gaining horsepower, it's not true

Believe what you want but adding that system to your engine will not make "her breath better"

alldodge

Staff member
Question is, what do I do with the 2 PCV oil air tubes that lead into the current arrestor?
Is there a clip of some sort that clips to the new setup?
Make something to put hose next to filter

My cousin who has been a marine mechanic for about 40-50yrs
Well all-righty then

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I am running a K&N on my boat for 3 reasons.

reason #1, I bought a marine K&N assembly used for $30 off facetube market place from a wrecked boat with a carbed 502
reason #2, I sold the original Holley spark arrestor with a bunch of AQ271 parts
reason #3, a new 4-barrel spark arrestor for my motor was over $150 (circle back to reason #1)

None of the reasons are to make her breath better.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Perhaps wise to be aware that there are a few versions of the 7.4. Only a couple of them will benefit from such a thing, I’d think. Certainly if she’s a carb…can’t see the benefit there at all. Some of the mpi and higher output with the front entry intake…I can get that. They do look restrictive in their design. Different from the carb for sure.

Fun Times

Staff member
If this helps any and for what it’s worth, From personal experience on running several both stock and Merc High performance blue engines boats at wide open throttle while under way and closely watching the RPM digital readings on a scan tool of some engine models while chasing other issues, there wasn’t a single number change in RPM or even MPH from simply removing the stock flame arrestor and reinstalling it at speed several times in a row. Honestly saw no benefit in spending extra money for nothing seemed gained. :(

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If this helps any and for what it’s worth, From personal experience on running several both stock and Merc High performance blue engines boats at wide open throttle while under way and closely watching the RPM digital readings on a scan tool of some engine models while chasing other issues, there wasn’t a single number change in RPM or even MPH from simply removing the stock flame arrestor and reinstalling it at speed several times in a row. Honestly saw no benefit in spending extra money for nothing seemed gained. :(
Always found things like this fascinating. Great to hear real world stuff like this. I can and have seen the benefits of these things over paper elements filters. But can’t imagine any benefit over what is essentially very similar, with the usual flame arrestor mesh on most mercruiser. Have it in my head that the 7.4 mpi variants might have slightly less direct breathing ability perhaps? Not sure. Even so…I think to see any noticeable difference, you’d need some way of getting a flow of externally sourced colder air fed to things. Often thought about how I might manage that on my own boat. Probably silly.
On a similar note of marginal gains…my corsa marine exhaust system is a damned if you do..damned if you don’t conundrum. If I switch the hugely powerful and power/current hungry magnetic solenoids, to hold the exhausts open…it actually has a detrimental affect on the rpms at most of the way through the rpms. It draws that much power through the belt to feed things. This is told by watching the ecu sourced rpms on the vessel view, when at a steady, stable and repeatable condition of operation/speed/water condition. Only at near or full throttle will it not drop the rpm slightly. But…if I disconnect the solenoids and physically cable tie the valves open manually. There is a marginal increase at mid throttle (say 10-30 rpm) and a fairly decent gain of anything from 50-100ish rpm at full throttle. Testing back to back in repeatable conditions. I’d imagine the gains or otherwise might be negligible or worse, should she not have a cam upgrade in her. Just some interesting findings, should it be of interest to anyone but me. Haha.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
It is the sticker that comes with it when adhered to the windshield that makes the boat faster

Seriously good info that confirms most common sense

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't use anything branded K&N. Over priced Garbage.

flashback

Captain
Reviews? You spend too much time on the web.. just take the existing arrestor off and run it a bit. You won't see a difference but don't do this as habit, it's not safe..