6hp water pump

Cadet
i was wondering if anyone has experience with the water pump on a 6hp 73'evinrude. I was wanting to replace the thing myself, but am not sure how hard it might be to do. also do you reccomend buying a manual for the engine?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 6hp water pump

If you own a set of wrenches, then a manual would be a wise investment. It'll pay for itself probably just with this one job.<br /><br />Replacing the 6hp's waterpump is really pretty easy. You only need common tools to do it. The tricky part comes if you have screws and bolts stuck from corrosion.<br /><br />Water pump repair kit is #18-3202 from NAPA or various places online. It's just the impeller and wear plate. OMC PN 391391 is the complete waterpump, which you can get from your local Johnny/Rude dealer, or here.<br />You'll want the complete waterpump if your impeller housing is bad.

bubbakat

Captain
Re: 6hp water pump

Ditto on what paul said and if you don't know when the last time it was changed or you have just recently acquired the motor it is always good to put the water pump kit in. A little more money but well worth it. I have one that is a little jewel and that is the way to keep it that way.