6hp no spark

nate44

Cadet
I have a 6hp Johnson, WHite cowling with a green shaft. The Model #is partially missing. It ends with 24S Ser#J2815652.

I only have spark on 1 of the 2 spark plugs. I checked the plug and it is good. Is it hard to do a tune-up? Do I have a bad coil?

any info would be great

Have a Merry Christmas,

Nate

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 6hp no spark

most likely, look on the block or head for a quarter size round disc for numbers.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A CD-24 is a 1967 6hp Johnson. They were white/green. Can be coil, or points, or bad wire, or.....You just gotta get in there and look.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

These motors are very simple to work on. You will have to pull the flywheel to get at the ignition parts but changing the coils, points, condensor and the wires, if need be, is simple. Do not pull the flywheel with a jaw type puller, however, because you may break it. Use a harmonic balancer puller or the OMC puller, which is available at your local OMC dealer.

I took the points and condensors out of mine and replaced them with a set of Brian Miller's NOVA II electronic ignition modules. They work great and you don't have to worry doing future ignition system tuneups. If you don't mind spending the money, I recommend replacing both coils and spark plug wires (unless, of course, they have been changed recently) while you have the flywheel off. Once those things are done, you shouldn't have to pull it again for a long time.

Rebuilding the carb is also very simple on this motor, as is replacing the water pump impeller. One thing that confuses some people on this motor is how to disconnect the shift rod linkage. Just unbolt the lower unit and drop it about a half inch - inside you will see the coupler. Loosen the upper screw and remove it so that the detent in the shift rod is free. Once this is done, it will come off easily. Putting it back together is a little trickier because there isn't much room to see inside but you can help things by positioning the gear shift handle in reverse to push the shift rod in the motor down. Once you have the screw back in, give it a gentle tug to make sure you haven't missed the detent and push the lower unit into place. Be sure that the water tube is properly seated in the water pump housing as you do this.

If you need to take a look at the thermostat, it is located on the top of the back portion of the block, immediately adjacent to the head. It is triangular in shape and has three bolts.

These are great little motors - have fun with it!

67Johnson6HP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When pulling the lower unit have spark plugs out so you can turn the flywheel thereby lining up the drive pin on top of the drive shaft. It has to line up with a slot to come out (I learned the hard way) or, you can turn the prop to line it up for removal. Also, buy a manual and use OMC parts!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Does it look like this?

old-omc.de/j_1967/seite_15.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

copy the address and paste into browers.

also there are many years here of omc motors c&p without the "
"http://old-omc.de/"