6hp fisherman tiller

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i think someone as removed and replaced the tiller on this motor and got it out of sync so to speak as when its in the shift position the cam follower is way off from the cam roller.
i have to start it in fast position and really twist it to speed things up.
if i remove the tiller is they a position on the cogs i have to align etc
replacing coils and condensers tomorrow even though it starts first time as the old coils have started to crack and i have new parts lying around..
great little motors

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
After you remove the tiller, remove the gear on the end of the throttle rod (set screw). Turn ignition clockwise as far as it will go. Re-position throttle rod gear to engage other gear at the last tooth (or next to last tooth). Insert throttle rod (with flat spot). Re-insert set screw. Re-install tiller arm and throttle handle.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
This is difficult to explain without photos. I could do it for you in less time it will take to describe. Check Leroy's Ramblings (Google). He has excellent descriptions and has photos too.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have done it but would like to see a link to leeroy ramblings tiller assembly if you have it. Many thanks

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure of the year of your motor but this link might help. Tons of good info on that site.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes I knew about leeroys articles as read a few. Is they one where he shows you how to sync the tiller cogs up preferably in with pics Did the tiller yesterday and I get full movement now but when in shift or slow the throttle cam on the magneto is way of the cam roller on the carb, not sure if that's right or not. The engine starts on second pull when cold ( first pull with choke out which splutters then I push choke in and it fires ) Runs brilliant but will not idle but runs steady if I hold tiller in start position. I have cleaned the carb but not removed the welsh plug as I didn't have a spare one. It's a 1967 version with compression around the 90 psi on both cylinders

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
The Stop, Shift, Start, and Fast locations aren't always that accurate and used mainly as general positions. There is a small "hash mark" stamped into the front edge of the throttle cam. The throttle roller should come to that hash mark at the same time that the carb butterfly just starts to open. Adjustments can be made with the linkage to make this happen. The process is called "link and synch" and is a common practice with older motors. I use a small alligator clip with a short piece of wire attached and clamped onto the throttle linkage that makes it easy to see the exact time the throttle begins to move. That's the point where the roller needs to be centered on the hash mark. Do this procedure with the choke closed. It doesn't sound like your throttle rod gears are the problem anymore.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
I forgot to mention that the cam itself is adjustable as well. There are two small bolts that hold the cam to the ignition plate. The "front" bolt is the adjustable one, the rear bolt locks it in place after you adjust it. Loosen both, adjust, lock it down. The roller probably has a "dent" around it caused from use over time, which will through off the timing slightly.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi again Had a quick look and at the beginning of my cam they is a line scrolled on the flat face which is the timing mark I checked it and the roller does coincide with it as the throttle plate begins to open.... Will run it again asap ( her indoors as washing out lol ) I noticed the hose from the fuel pump to carb was a loose fit so tightened it up Is they a way to stiffen up the twist grip so I don't need to hold on to it as it does tick over when it shows start on throttle, but it slips past this mark and stops

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
There should be a coil spring inside the throttle handle that's designed to put a bit of pressure on the twist grip and keep it from creeping toward "off". It should slow the motor down in the event you fall out :) but not neccessarily shut the motor off.

loiner1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Everything works great apart from idle I am missing the spring and a plastic block inside the tiller so the throttle creeps off and shuts the motor down as they is no resistance lol