69 rude 55hp.

restless

Recruit
hello all<br />i am currently rebuilding 69 rude 55hp. my inner exhaust cover is pitted pretty bad. both sides of my cylinder head have some slight pitting.would prefer new parts but can not find anywhere.would filling in pitted area with jb weld and resurfacing work? also i notice every piece of motor including inside of cylinders was painted. can i repaint with a high temp engine paint?<br /> thanks for any info

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: 69 rude 55hp.

Hello.<br />I do not think that in a cylinder where fuel explodes about 2000 times per minute, jb weld or any other stick on material will last very long.<br />Your replacement parts are not very hard to find though.Try:<br />www.americanoutboard.com<br />www.twincityoutboards.com<br />good luck

Hooty

Rear Admiral

JB Weld is great stuff. I'd go ahead and use it. The trick is in the surface prep. Sand all areas to be filled with 80 grit until metal is rough but shiney. As far as painting, real hi-temp paint isn't necessary. The engine shouldn't get over 160 or so degress.If it does, you've got more to worry about than paint.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hummmm. We'll see. <br /><br />c/6Hooty :D

Hooty

Rear Admiral

rolmops, I figure where the exhaust cover is pitted is on the water side so the JB Weld should work. I've seen it stand up in crankcases.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty