69 Johnson Shifting problem

sstrudell

Cadet
I recently pulled my prop and bearing housing on my 69 Johnson 55hp outboard. I was getting water in my gearcase so I replaced the O ring on the bearing housing, put new seals on the screws that attach the bearing housing to the Retainer plate and replaced the washers around the oil screws.

Everything came off easy and went back on pretty easy as well. Only thing I had to do was tap the bearing housing back in a bit, but no excessive pounding.

Except when I went to start the engine and there is no neutral. The prop is spinning with the throttle in the neutral position. It spins faster when I put the throttle into forward position.

Not exactly sure what I did, because I didn't touch anything beyond the bearing housing or the retainer plate.

The boat was running well before except for the water in the gears.

Any ideas?

spazio10

Cadet
Re: 69 Johnson Shifting problem

the prop normaly spins when in neutral but it shouldn't actually move the boat. does reverse still work or does it seam like it is stuck in forward.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

exhaust thru the prop will spin it if using muffs, are you positive it is in gear. this isn't they best or safest way to do this, but what i do is remove the prop, and if the prop shaft turns in neutral i just put my foot on it and see if it will stop.

sstrudell

Cadet

Its spinning at a pretty fast rate. I've seen it spin before out of the water and in neutral, and spins slow. This is much faster.

Should an engine start if its NOT in neutral?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

these motors have electric shift, which default to forward. it's starts in forward until the 12 volts activates the neutral solenoid. the engine must be running for it to shift.

sstrudell

Cadet

I'm running it on muffs and I haven't put it in the water. It seems to be spinning at a pretty fast rate, much faster than I've seen it before in neutral.

spazio10

Cadet

if you shift into reverse does the prop spin the other way? does reverse work?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are two gears on the prop shaft, spinning in opposite directions. Whichever one has the most friction in the bearing will make the prop rotate in that direction. But the friction should be very slight and any water pressure at all on the prop should stop it from spinning (in neutral).

sstrudell

Cadet

I will try running it without the prop when I get home. If I apply slight pressure to the shaft while in neutral, then it should stop spinning, right.

Otherwise, is this an adjustment to my throttle cable that I need to make?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is a Hydro-Electric shift. It is either in gear or not in gear. There is no way that it can be partly in such as a slipping clutch would act. If it truly is in forward gear when it should be in neutral, it is possible that the shift swich is bad in the control. There are other possibilities too.

sstrudell

Cadet

F_R

When I engage the Remote Throttle, the Throttle cam rod engages the throttle cam roller on the engine. So the connection between the Remote and the engine is moving. The shift switch is in the remote unit, right?

I haven't tried it in reverse because I was nervous of doing damage. I'll do so when I get home tonight.

Thank you all for your advice so far. Sorry for all the annoying questions.

Is there anyway I could have damaged it by putting the bearing housing back into the lower when I replaced the O ring? 'Cause literally, it was running ok before, but now after I did that, its not.

sstrudell

Cadet

Just follow-up...

Got home, and F_R's comment about the cable had me thinking. I adjusted the remote throttle cable a bit. Noticed that the Cam lever was pushing to far forward. Pulled the prop and started the motor. The rod didn't spin while in neutral, threw it into forward and the rod turned. Same in reverse.

Put the prop back on and started again. Its no longer spinning in neutral. Prop spins in forward and reverse.

Not sure if it was the adjustment to the cable, or that I had just added oil to the gearcase last night and it didn't have time to flow around, but it works fine now.

Thank you all for your advice. Next week when I am Up North in Michigan on vacation, catching some Bass...I'l drink a cold brew to you.

Thanks again.