69 Johnson 55hp Prop Removal (how to?)

sstrudell

Cadet
I'm trying to remove the prop off my 1969 55hp Johnson. I removed the cotter pin but I can't get the nut to budge. I'm hesitant to put any real pressure on it for fear of doing any internal damage. This is my first time removing a prop.

The reason I want to remove the prop is because there is an oil leak coming from behind the prop.

Suggestions?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 69 Johnson 55hp Prop Removal (how to?)

I haven't touched an OMC prop in 30 years so I forgot. My response will bump this up and someone in the know will hit it.

You probably have a threaded nut that is unscrewed once you remove the cotter pin. It may have up to 50 lbs of torque and some corrosion on it so it will be hard to turn.

A good soaking of penetrating oil and a block of wood between the prop blade and the antivent plate will hold it for you to unscrew.

The prop is splined to the prop shaft with a rubber hub which is tough but could move slightly when removing. No bid deal unless the prop actually slips.

Mark

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 69 Johnson 55hp Prop Removal (how to?)

like, Mark said, block the prop and turn the nut counter clockwise. when you replace it grease the splines.i have always just snugged my prop nut, and put the pin in it.