69 johnson 55hp hydro electric shift

59_seafair

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I have been fighting with this issue for some time now. I have done every check that reeves has mentioned here that I can find. I have checked my ohms, jumpered my wires, changed out my lower gear oil with the proper stuff, and even checked to make sure that I wasn't grounding out with motor vibration.

I still cannot figure out why I dont have reverse on her. I was reading about solenoid plungers, can someone on here tell me how can I check it and if I need to replace it how do I do that?

Once again this forum is top shelf.. My hat is off to you guys.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 69 johnson 55hp hydro electric shift

search up FR posts. He's responded to plunger questions quite a bit. FYI when my forward started going out it ended up being in the remote control unit. Switched out to a toggle switch setup and its been good to go.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 69 johnson 55hp hydro electric shift

It actually is very simple. Check the voltage at the blue and green wires that go down to the lower unit, WITHOUT DISCONNECTING them. If you don't have close to battery voltage on both wires when control is in reverse position (ignition key on), you have an electrical problem (usually the shift switch).

If you DO have close to battery voltage on both wires in reverse, but the motor doesn't go into reverse (while running), then the problem is between there and the lower unit. Can be solenoids, wires, or hydraulic/mechanical problem within the lower unit.

Another way to accomplish the same test is to rig up a jumper wire, one end connected to the battery (+) terminal and the other end to both blue and green wires. That eliminates all external wiring problems & switch. Should go into reverse. If not, then same as above---between there and lower unit.