69 85hp Johnson, getting water pump guide tubes

GLT

Cadet
Does anyone know of a better way to get this lower end back on and get the plastic guide tubes to slide over the water tubes. Nothing tight or sticky it's just really hard to see up there and get both sides aligned at the same time. I've been attaching the guide tubes into the water pump and trying to line up on the water tubes and I've mangled that soft platic tube trying. Seems like those platic tubes should be about 3" longer.

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 69 85hp Johnson, getting water pump guide tubes

I have a 85 hp 1970 rude and here is how I did it. I did it while the motor was on the boat by myself as I slipped in the mud. First off I tilted the motor up, Then I wrapped a bungie cord around the lower unit and secured it to the top of the motor. This way I could stop it from slipping down too much and I was able to get my fingers in there and line them up, one at a time. It was real tricky but it worked for me.

GLT

Cadet

I'll try it, might be able to reach my fingers in there if I can stand up and I'm not concentrating on holding it up and in place.

GLT

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply, bye the way.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Then I wrapped a bungie cord around the lower unit and secured it to the top of the motor.

I did the same thing with my 78 model 85hp, wrapped a bungie cord around it and wrestled with the foot by myself. It can be a tricky procedure, in my case the shift rod was a pain to hook up. It took me and my cousin to hook the shift rod up.

Good luck on your mission.

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

I used one of those thick rubber bungie cords, it allowed me to kinda of slide it up and down like I wanted.

GLT

Cadet

So I got the lower unit back on and put the muffs on a started it. There's water spray out between the LU and the the exhaust housing. I don't believe I've seen the water spray out between the two before. Does this seem normal to anyone or does it sound like something is still not pluged in correctly?

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

That does not sound right. Do you mean comming out of the two exhaust holes or actually comming out of the flange where you connect the lower unit to the mid section?

GLT

Cadet

It's a flat spray coming out from between the two parts on both sides of the lower unit.
One thing different when I replaced the water pump this time, compared to when I did it a couple of years ago._Is that I added a gasket between the exhaust housing and the lower unit. I hadn't realized there was one missing at that time. With that gasket in place It doesn't seam as though the lower unit and the exhaust housing draw as tight together when I tighten the lower unit bolts.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

if water is coming out there you did not get the water tubes connected correctly and it's just dumping out inside.

GLT

Cadet

Third times a charm, I unbolted the lower unit again and slid it back only about 3". Looked like, maybe?? the guide tube came away from the water pump housing during assembly. Not sure cause it could have slide loose when I lowered it the 3". Anyhow I repositioned everything again and and it went together much nicer this time.