68 voltage suppressor source? or deleting from system?

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice
missing my voltage suppressor for a 68 100 hp<br />starflite having trouble locating one <br />book shows p/n 580732 any ideas ?

alden135

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 68 voltage suppressor source? or deleting from system?

try:<br />vintageoutboard.com<br />tcoutboard.com<br />ishopmarine.com

ledgefinder

Ensign

Don't worry about it - OMC service bulletins recommended taking it out & tossing it. Caused more problems than they solved. Search the archives here, using "surge supressor" for details on the wiring. Post back if it's not clear.

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice

ledgefinder-<br />did a search but am having problems <br />getting any valid returns at all.<br />do you have link to the post?<br /><br />thank you.

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice

ishopmarine.com shows one for 137.00<br />way out of my ballpark i just want to<br />see if i can get this thing running

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think OMC used to call the supression filters "clippers". Try a search under clippers or voltage clippers and you'll probably get some hits.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I may have a few of them left in my remaining stock. Describe what it is that you speak of.<br /><br />Cylindrical in shape, flat rectangular shape, etc. Contact me at my address below if you prefer.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The original 1968 pulse packs had fins on them and those were the ones that needed the voltage suppressors. Later model and replacement packs had NO fins and did not need the suppressors.<br /><br />Chances are that your original pack was replaced many years ago.

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice

so if i decide to go with out it what needs<br />to be done?<br />also joe r. said this was differnt than the clipper<br />if he recalls correctly and recomended i ask again<br /><br />thank you

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice

bump.....

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The suppressor, and clipper do basicly the same thing, they protect the system from voltage spikes, or loose connections. As long as you use a good battery, and maintain all tight connections, you can do with out it. You simply remove it, and go directly to the coil from the pulse pak. For some reason, the coil is called a pulse transformer on this system.