'68 65h no fuel to cylinders, HELP

Geodopolis

Cadet
I've had it out fishing over a dozen times this year with no problems. Plan a big expedition and guess what, got launched, started it up, it ran for about 10 seconds and died. The ramp was slow enough that I worked on it for about an hour in the water. I have fuel through the carb and the float is correct, but somewhere between the back of the carb and the cyls it stops, the sparkplugs are bone-dry. I did find a bolt on the left side that held a wire that had come off and a couple of inches forward of that a large wire bolted to the solonoid(?) was shorting against the motor. I fixed those and still nothing. Please let it be a cheap and easy fix, I love my old ***** boat.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: '68 65h no fuel to cylinders, HELP

"Plugs are bone dry" is not a good indicator of anything. If they were wet, that would be an indicator that it was flooded.

You need to go back to the troubleshooting basics. Adequate compression, fuel in the right amount, and spark at the right time.

As for the fuel, you could squirt some directly into the carburetor throat to see if you can get a pop out of it. Once the gas gets that far, there is nothing that will prevent it from going the rest of the way. At least not to all four cylinders, when it has been working in the past and didn't blow up or something the last time you ran it.

Geodopolis

Cadet

First off, thanks for the reply. I tried squirting fuel down the carb and no 'pop'. I read last night about a safety breaker or something tripping on the motor that will disable it, any thoughts? I'll do another tear-down after work and keep at it until I get saved by the helpfull folks here:)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is no such thing as a safety breaker.

Since it ran for 10 seconds, I suspect an ignition problem. Check that spark.

Geodopolis

Cadet

F R, you are right I have no spark @ the plugs. I found where it was shorting at the solenoid, would that wreck the solenoid or worse like the coil? How do I check the coil for function?:(