68 55hp triumph wiring to key switch?

kbergman10

Cadet
I was wondering if someone could help me with the wiring of a key switch for a 1968 55 hp evinrude outboard? I just purchased the motor and the previous owner didn't write down where the wires went. I have a large green, red, red/white,red green to red with a plastic ball towards the end, tan, gray, thicker white, and black. The switch that I have is from a previous evinrude motor that was on the boat. It has 5 posts of B S A M and M. I tried looking in the previous topics but couldn't find anything.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 68 55hp triumph wiring to key switch?

Do you know sir that you now possess the engine that revolutionized the 2 cycle boating industry. Your "loop charged" rude and the comparable Johnny set the stage for all companies to follow.............which they did.<br /><br />Now as to your problem, I am sorry that I can't help you but I did want to put a feather in your cap.<br /><br />Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Guessing (since no one jumped in to help you)<br /><br />B is connection to battery (12v input)<br />A is accessory (output to any small current load accessory....could be radio, running lights type of thing, not trolling motor power, and does not go to the outboard)<br />S is start (12v power to the OB only when key is in start position)<br />M is motor (This output should have 12v on it anytime the key is in the ON or START positions.)<br /><br />M should supply power to your ignition system.<br /><br />Red is usually 12v power. The other colors who knows.<br /><br />Are you electrically and mechanically challenged, or do you understand both? Reply and I will continue. You'll save me a lot of talking if you are moxy.<br /><br />Mark

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

First, if you don't have a service manual, pop on over to the local library and see if they have the generics like Seloc or Clymers. These usually have wiring diagrams in the back which should help a lot.<br /><br />These can be tricky to wire if you don't have the original key switch so we'll look at what each wire does.<br /><br />Large green connects to the "Battery" terminal of the ignition switch.<br /><br />Red went to the accessories terminal on the ignition switch. This wire feed the engines ignition amplifier and thermo switch which caused the choke to not open all the way until the engine was running.<br /><br />Red/w white stripe connects to the choke switch.<br /><br />Green with red stripe, connects to the shift switch. The red ball is the blocking diodes.<br /><br />Tan runs to the temp overheat light. If the engine overheats, the light comes on.<br /><br />Gray is the tach lead.<br /><br />Black is ground.<br /><br />Large white goes to the "S" terminal which is the 12V lead to the starter solenoid.<br /><br />Hope this helped.