68 100 hp no water flow

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice
hi<br />got all my rewire done . <br />runs like a top but............<br />it does not seem to be pumping water<br />actualy it has not for 10 years so if <br />some one is good with cooling systems<br />please help.<br /><br />i have just run it for a few seconds at a time<br />it has just been run in fresh water.<br />the impler is new the thermoststs and housing <br />are new the coolant pipe on the right side had<br />a hole in it i did patch it...<br /><br />this thing runs so good i hate to kill it<br />but i am about ready to run it untill it locks up<br /> <br />i pulled the hose on the left head and it was <br />bone dry<br /><br /><br />10883b

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 68 100 hp no water flow

You need to go back over what you have already done. If you run it without water it will lock up and then you either junk it or start fussin with pistons, cylinders plus. - - Your call.

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice

i should include this has not pumped water <br />from the day i got it.<br /><br />is it possable to check the water pump without<br />dropping the lower unit?

CATransplant

Admiral

OK, a question: You said it hasn't been pumping water for 10 years? I'm confused. Have you had this outboard for 10 years or is it new to you?<br /><br />You say it has a new impeller and thermostat? Did you put them in, or did someone else do it?<br /><br />Why do you think it's not pumping water?

CATransplant

Admiral

Another thing to check:<br /><br />If the woodruff key that drives the impeller was left out when the impeller was replaced, it won't pump. It's been done many, many times. The only way you're going to know is to drop the lower unit and check.<br /><br />I'm thinking that someone else did the water pump service. If that's the case, then you'll need to check their work.<br /><br />If the impeller's turning, the water tubes, both inlet and return are open, and there's not junk filling up the water passages in the block and heads, then water has to circulate.<br /><br />I haven't used this model, so I don't know about its telltale or lack of same.<br /><br />So, again, fill us in a little more about the history of the outboard and what you, yourself have done regarding the cooling system.

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice

no i have had it 10 years <br />but got frustrated with it so quit working<br />on it for sometime<br /> history<br />augst 1997 boat runs fine pumps water good<br />impeller is about 8 months old <br /><br />september 97 i get boat (from a known person)<br />go out 1 time boat over heats still running <br />i shut it down...<br /><br />october 97 replace impeller <br /><br />run motor several times no flow <br />from water pump take lower unit off<br />more times than i want to remember<br />cant find any problem .<br /><br />run boat hooked to garden hose <br />would run all day long with no <br />problem. <br /><br />quit working on it for several years <br /><br />3-4 years ago dropped lower unit found hole <br />in return tube <br /><br />2 years ago repaired tube<br /><br />last month re-wired engine <br />installed lower unit <br />still no flow from water pump

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice

ok i just went out side and messed with it a little more...<br />if i remove the cover plate on the left<br />side of my extension housing and hold <br />the hose to the water pick up i get <br />water out of it am i suposta ?<br /><br />put the plate back on hold hose to water in <br />let i get water out of the hose going to <br />the left head(hose is disconnected)

eaglelove76

Cadet

hi <br />i am having the same problem i thought it was impeller checked it and changed the moon key still no water i then changed the vernastat while i had all apart i put cover on without stat and had some water come out the exaust outlet put it all back together and started up and nothing water is leaking out the seem and all lower unit holes i m lost dont know what to due this is a evinrude 100 1971 <br /><br />roy

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice

Roy<br />i am going to do a little rescearch on my own <br />as this topic seems to be difficult to get help <br />with . check back or e-mail me i will let you know if i find anything out maybe someone will come <br />forward with some ideas as well

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

If it were me I would remove lower unit. Then remove thermostats from engine. I would NOT start engine.<br /><br />I would then duct tape garden nose onto water supply tube leading up from water pump into motor block.<br /><br />Dont turn on water to fast or it will blow tape lose. If no water is comeing thru block and exiting from t..stat holes.<br /><br />Then block has obstruction some place. Or water supply tube is pluged.<br /><br />If still no water, Then remove heads and try again. If still no water.<br /><br />May have to dissimble engine block and have it boiled out.<br /><br />Good luck!

CATransplant

Admiral

Once again, pull the lower unit and check the impeller for the woodruff key that keys it to the driveshaft. If the impeller's not turning, it won't pump any water.<br /><br />Also, hook a hose up to the water tube and try to run some water through. That will check for blockages.<br /><br />But, make sure that impeller is turning, OK?

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

Follow Goodoleboy advice just to rule out a obstruction in the powerhead .<br /><br />Try CATransplant's too<br /><br />If you can rule out those sources , try this one .<br />Last year I committed a old Johnson 90hp ( see sign below ) , i believe this engine got the same water pump ?? .<br />After rebuilding the motor I also replaced the water pump ( impeller + housing + seals ).<br />When starting it I got the same problem , well nearly the same , I got water up to the power head but not enough .<br />What was wrong ?? , I did replace the housing , it got a minor difference , see picture .<br />
water_pumps.jpg
<br /><br />Left pump is my original , right one got another seal and my pickup tupe was 1/2" to short to make this one work ( got some water pressure )OR I was missing a guiding tube ( to be inserted before the pickup tube ).<br />These housings are 100% indentical except the tube seal , the right one CAN'T replace the left one , other way ?? it might work just fine .

trkmec

Seaman Apprentice

ok so hear we go i do not know haw well <br />mine is pumpin water i still need to play with it<br />a little more but i do have some water comming out<br />the exhaust now i found a parts engine and lower unit did some measuring and found the drum i was using was not deep enough though it appeared to have the pump below the water level it was about 1.75 to 2.5 inches above as soon a s i got it to the point it looked to deep(hard to tell on land ) i left both <br />hoses off the cylnder heads and cranked it over<br />and it spit some water out of the heads and <br />hoses......so now on to keeping it running <br />long enough to confirm i am pumpin

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Replace your water pump as it is now 8 years old.