'67 Merc 1100SS problem

CaptnKirk

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone! New member here...long time lurker, first time poster!<br /><br />I have an old Mercury 1100SS that is leaking what I believe is gearcase oil from a small weep hole that's at the opposite end of the prop. I changed the impeller last year and everything ran fine, I took it out a couple times already this year and the last time I pulled the boat out is when I noticed the oil. I have no idea when or if the seals were ever changed, so needless to say that's what I think the problem is. I thought that I might as well change them all since it will be apart anyway.<br /><br />My question is...is this something that I can do myself or should I have someone do it? I'm somewhat mechanically enclined, but if this might require special tools, I wouldn't want to start something I can't finish.<br /><br />Thanks in advance!<br /><br />Captn---

Laddies

Banned
Re: '67 Merc 1100SS problem

The hole you are talking about drains the cavity infront of the shift shaft and could be either gearlube or exhaust oil, smell it-ck the lower unit for water if the gear oil has water in it, you have a bad seal at the shift shaft or the 2 seals under the w/pump hsg. are bad. If you allready did the pump, you simple have to remove the bottom hsg. to change the seals. If you have to change the shiftshaft seal you MUST USE CARE AND HOLD THE SHAFT DOWN AS YOU REMOVE THE RETAINER if the shaft comes up it requires tearing the unit apart to treinstall the shaft into the shift cam. The best way to ck. the seals is to pressure test the unit if you have one available or remove the unit and have a profession test it for you

CaptnKirk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '67 Merc 1100SS problem

Thanks for the reply Lad! After checking it out, it appears to be gearlube. It doesnt have the tell-tale smell or look like exhaust oil. I dont have a pressure tester so I did some calling this afternoon...it's surprising how many people dont work on old Mercs anymore! Finally I found a place that does, Ace Marine in Mt. Morris, MI. (Mods: If I shouldnt have posted that, please edit!)<br />I talked to the mechanic there and he said the same thing about the shift shaft seal. He told me that it wouldnt be a problem to do and might take about a week. Im going to take off the lower end, take it to him and see what the cost is going to be.<br /><br />Thanks again for the response, Ill post again when I know more!<br /><br />Captn---