'67 Johnson 60hp fuel smelling slim in tub!

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice
filled up a garbage can with fresh water, dropped the sea horse in and ran it for several minutes. The water had a brown oily slim which had a strong fuel smell (I have a headache from the smell). When I removed the motor from the water, the lower unit was covered with this oily brown slim. What is up with this? Cause? Solution? or no worries cause of the age of motor? Please advise. Thanks. After lowering the motor this brown slim was oozing out the pee hole on the left side of lower unit and the pee hole next to the lower unit exhaust.

D

DJ

Re: '67 Johnson 60hp fuel smelling slim in tub!

FAJSAM,<br /><br />Sounds normal to me. Your engine is burning an oil/gas mixture (and not very effeciently, I might add).<br /><br />The crud you see is the unburned oil/gas mixture.

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the response. What kind of adjustment is needed to run and burn more efficiently?

rterrian

Seaman

FAJSAM,<br /><br /> You might want to look at a manual and check, but I think that engine has a reed valve system on the crank case that lets unburnt fuel out into the exhaust. Follow instructions in the manual to adjust the carborator. You are running it to rich.

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice

thanks boater2, i'll consult the manual to see if i can make the adjustments. New at the outboard game, maybe shop class in HS will revisit the mind.