67 9.8 merc impeller

dvrdwn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 67 9.8 merc that has some impeller pieces stuck in the intake tube. Before I pull the head has anybody had any luck clearing the tube?

dvrdwn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 67 9.8 merc impeller

I don't know anything about mercs but it would be whatever tube or passage could get cloged with broken impeller pieces. The water gets sucked up and gets circulated through the engine to cool it but in my case that passage somewhere upstream of the impeller is cloged. The mechanic says he tried to blow it out but couldn't. He said he has to pull the head to fix it at an aditional expense of $300. I was woundering if there are some tricks to unclog it without pulling the head? I don't mind pulling the lower unit but don't want to risk pulling the head and braking a bolt.

Mi duckdown

Commander

If you are refering to copper intake tube, pull it out and clean it. Don't blow air up into the head.

Laddies

Banned

If a 9.8 or 7.5 mercury has impeller pieces blocking the water passage it normally requires the removal of the exhaust cover to remove the pieces and in some cases the pieces have traveled to the passages between the exhaust cooling and the powerhead that require the water jacket cover to be removed.

dvrdwn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys! I'll check that.

22R

Recruit

There is a small plastic fitting at the base of the powerhead. If the motor was run hot it expands and will clog the passage of water into the motor. The powerhead has to come off but it is not really hard to do at all. I cannot beleive that someone would charge 300.00 fot that. I have a 1968 merc and I can remove the powerhead in 15 minutes. Where are you loccated ?

22R