67 650 Merc which igniton type is best

Yachtzee

Seaman
I am the proud owner of three late 60s merc 650 4cyl (65 horse) All ran "somewhat" when I got them this fall, I want to build one real nice one with new rings bearings etc, and one back up. Two of the motors have the thunderbolt ignition with the switch box and and the fault prone pickup in the distributor. The third motor has a magneto and no charging system. It ran the best when I got it. There is not even a magnet inside the flywheel. (I wonder why Mercury made an electric start motor with no charging system maybe for twins applications?) Anyway the magneto seems simple and less prone to expensive failure than the thunderbolt. Am I near right on that? Should I use the magneto and the flywheel rectifier and stator from the thunderbolt model or go with the thunderbolt parts?

Anybody out therr have an opinion? Thanks!:confused:

Laddies

Banned
Re: 67 650 Merc which igniton type is best

I would go with the CD ign. when you but parts for the mag it will shock you. Pts = $40 Cap = $100+ Rotor = $50+ so you might as well spend the money on the CD stuff and have a better running and more dependable engine

OldMercsRule

Captain

I agree with Laddies, (who knows far more then I do).

I had a 1967 650 with the "Thunderbolt" cd ignition.

That was the first year of the (non points) triggered Thuderbolt ignitions (on that particular engine). The biggest inline6s got the better ignition first then the smaller engines. The transition years were late 1965 or early 1966 to 1968. I think all the 1968 and later engines were the more reliable ignitions

I own and run a number of inline6s with the same exact, (or very similar) ignition, and they are very dependable when used in fresh water, (as I do).

At least I think runnin' a 40 year old "virgin" that fires right up when ya hit the juice n' runs great is kinda impressive ta a feller with only one brain cell! :D

If I ever buy more of em, (I'm tryin' ta be good this winter), I do not even look at the ones prior ta 1967. I don't like settin' those points!! In the Seattle area ya can get a real good runner fer small $ this time of year.

My mom's 196x, (I think it was a 1966 but it could have been a 1967), 500 was the point triggered Thunderbolt ignition, and it was very irritating. It would also drain the battery if it was not properly adjusted. The manual indicated a reset every 100 hours (I think) if memory serves me.

Me overpriced $.02. JR

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez Laddies. You are right about them being expensive.

Mark