67' 60hp Johnson adjustment knobs?

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice
When looking from the front of the powerhead, there is a small "door" that opens into the motor that has a chock lever and two adjusting knobs. Are these the slow speed adjusting "needles" that I hear about? If so, how do I adjust them to optimize the motors fuel burning ability at lower speeds?

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 67' 60hp Johnson adjustment knobs?

Look down at the topic for Joe Reeves from Motown. Mr Reeves explains how to adjust the two n/v's.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These are the low speed needle valves. (High speed are fixed after 1965)<br /><br />Starting point is open 1 1/2 turns.<br />To adjust engine must warm and be running in fwd gear.<br /> Turn clock wise until cyl loads up or fires uneven.<br />Turn back it til it evens out, continue untill it leans out too much and it misfires/rpm falls off. now turn back Counter clocxwise 1/4 turn. do the same wiht the other carb. you mayhave to go back and redo each one a fer timne until you get it just right. Too rich is better than too lean.<br /><br />Too lean causes hard starting and poor lube.

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the response! the old sea horse cranks up with no problem, but seems to be "spitting" fuel more at lower speed. The knobs are like at the 12-o'clock position. Maybe I should just leave it alone, cause I am afraid I'll mess something up?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

That spitting is called "sneezing" and it's caused by to lean a mixture. Sneezing is real hard on reeds.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty