66 Rude 9.5 Sneeze and ...

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 66 Rude 9.5 Sneeze and ...

Update & Some headway<br />Replaced Top & Base Crank Shaft seals, replaced/added seal/gasket to fuel pump pulse port.<br /><br />Sneeze is almost gone. only an occasional sneeze at low low idle. Doesn't seem to matter how much the low speed idle is open on carb.<br /><br />Any thoughts on "can ignition/points contribute to this problem"? cuz I guess that's where i'm heading next.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

there is an exhaust donut just under the powerhead u said that it lugs hard with the cowl on maybe the donut is going bad and letting exhaust into the cowling 9.5 are known for that. i have a few and have seen people go as far as cutting holes in the cowling so she gets fresh air (never works) i have about 5 cowls here with holes in them and all the motor needed was a gasket. not an easy job since you have to split the casing.but these are great engines and worth the time

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Don't overlook a stuck open "bleeder valve" that is a small reed valve that blows overboard any puddled oil and fuel in each cylinder. It does what later motors use recirculation valves for.<br /><br />The 2 valves are underneath about a 2" square cover on the lower stb. sided of the powerhead.

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class

to be honest trhose motors are pretty reliable but they can be a pain , and they eat gas<br /><br />might be better off gettin your hands on a used 9.9