'66 Chrysler 50HP worth fixing?

Q_ball

Seaman
I picked up a project boat(my first)and it had this motor on it.(M#50671 S#5634) It started right up to my suprise but had no water comming out so i shut it down and looked into it and found water in the lower end and it would not shift into forward or reverse but the fly wheel turns when you rotate the prop. Is this even worth fixing? getting parts ect.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: '66 Chrysler 50HP worth fixing?

It is a nice engine and probably worth fixing. If it has compression, turns over, and starts, you are more than half way there.

Parts are still available--you can try franzmarine@aol.com.

When you say you found water in the bottom--do you mean water inside the lower unit gearcase/ If so, Seals are standard and can be purchased at any bearing supply house. You just need to pull the ols ones in such a way as to preserve the numbers. A good bearing man will know the seal just by looking at it though. Since they have stainless parts, they are not cheap.

If you did find water in the gearcase, now is the time to disassemble it and clean the gears BEFORE they rust. BUT: if water only entered because of a loose fill or vent screw, then simply draining well and refilling with marine grade extreme pressire lube will suffice.

Lack of shifting could be any number of causes from mis-adjusted linkage to missing or worn parts.

However: As I said, If it starts and runs you are good. For a max of a couple of hundered, the seals, water pump impeller, fuel pump diaphragm, and lower unit oil can be changed and you will have a nice running engine.

Even if the lower unit were trashed, that engine is worth about 350 in running condition if also cosmetically good, so a used lower unit could be found for say, 150.

So I say: Go for it and have fun!

Q_ball

Seaman
Re: '66 Chrysler 50HP worth fixing?

Thanks Frank I hoped you'd chime in, i have been reading through this site since i picked up this project on the 24th. learned alot.
The gear case had milky water not milky oil and that is due to tub and tile calking does not work as gasket material very well. this has been sitting for a few years and it fired up just as easy as my truck so i gues i'll work on the lower end and get a manual but until then what about the cooling system, i saw the intake behind the exhaust but no tell tale or any water discharge(is it the 1" port on the aft of the mid section). also 4 or 5 holes at the top of the gear case facing down +2 threaded holes on the right side nxt to the 5. does that make sense?