'66 5hp evinrude questions

stevek

Cadet
Hi again,
I removed the flywheel, set the points, finished decarb... hits on both cylinders at higher rpm... suppose a tune up kit plus spark plug wires might help.

Is there any way to test the coils with a multi meter?

Where is the water outlet for the cooling system? It spits through the exhaust, but there is some kind of opening above the prop... water draining out of that opening... is that the cooling outlet?

The throttle arm on this little engine doesn't want to stay put now, whereas before I removed the flywheel and one of the coils it would stay pretty much where you set it when running. Now when running it wants to go to shut off... what have I done?

Can't find parts on the web... need to call my dealer I suppose.

Thanks again for your help.
stevek

wbblc87

Cadet
Re: '66 5hp evinrude questions

stevek said:
Hi again,
I removed the flywheel, set the points, finished decarb... hits on both cylinders at higher rpm... suppose a tune up kit plus spark plug wires might help.

Is there any way to test the coils with a multi meter?

Where is the water outlet for the cooling system? It spits through the exhaust, but there is some kind of opening above the prop... water draining out of that opening... is that the cooling outlet?

The throttle arm on this little engine doesn't want to stay put now, whereas before I removed the flywheel and one of the coils it would stay pretty much where you set it when running. Now when running it wants to go to shut off... what have I done?

Can't find parts on the web... need to call my dealer I suppose.

Thanks again for your help.
stevek

The flywheel magnet is hitting the ignition coil. You remounted the coil incorrectly. Pop off the flywheel, loosen the coil mounting screws and scoot it in until the edge of the laminations are flush with the mounting bosses on the armature plate. The water goes out the exhaust. the little holes in the gearcase are for draining water out of the engine.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: '66 5hp evinrude questions

Just a little added clarification:

Mount the coils so they're even with the bosses on the armature plate, that is to say surface A needs to be even with surface B:
Crackedcoil.jpg

If that doesn't correct the problem, you likely need to reduce the wobble in your armature plate. Fortunately that's easy and cheap to do.

The exhaust coming out above the water line is only the idle relief. At throttle, most the exhaust exits through the 'fin' behind the propeller which creates those bubbles you see in your wake. The water intake is on the front of that fin. Spitting from the idle relief ports is the only indication you get of the cooling system functioning.

There is pretty much only one failure mode for the ignition coils - they crack from age. A good set of eyes is all you need. Testing them with a multimeter is pointless.

The spark plug wires do not need to be changed unless their insulation is cracked. They do not degrade like automotive plug wires. If you do replace them, only use metal core wire.

Parts are available everywhere - online, dealer, NAPA autoparts, junkyard. Try the Iboats partsfinder. I like the aftermarket ignition coils (18-5181) better than the OEM ones.