65hp 4cylinder help (1963 model)

doorhanger

Recruit
Here's my problem: Father in laws boat, fixing it for him. Serial # 1598681 what I have found from this site is a 1963 model , 2 stroke 4cylinder. Motor runs well no missing etc. when in driveway, prop spins etc. Put boat in the water and motor revs up and sounds like it should, but boat barely moves. After going down river for 20 mins at full rev and barely moving, turn around to get back and motor eventually bogs down and dies. He did mention that one time it ran like it should for a few minutes and when he throttled it down and tried it again, same barely move problem. I have noticed carbs leak. Also is there somewhere I can download a service manual or at least a exploded view of this thing? Thanks for your guys help. Tom

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: 65hp 4cylinder help (1963 model)

Welcome to IBoats

Engine revs but boat does not speed up usually means a bad prop hub

If fuel is leaking from carbs, the carbs need rebuilding.

Due to copyright online guides aren't easy to find

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

Something like this happened to me once also but it was with a Rude. It was the prop. After that it ran like a champ.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

props are built with two metal hubs, inner and outer with a rubber bushing in between, when this bushing goes the inner hub slips, and does not spin the prop. this is a johnson prop but the same idea. the can be rebuilt by a prop shop.

Attachments

• MVC-149S.JPG
    MVC-149S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 0

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's my problem: Father in laws boat, fixing it for him. Serial # 1598681 what I have found from this site is a 1963 model , 2 stroke 4cylinder. Motor runs well no missing etc. when in driveway, prop spins etc. Put boat in the water and motor revs up and sounds like it should, but boat barely moves. After going down river for 20 mins at full rev and barely moving, turn around to get back and motor eventually bogs down and dies. He did mention that one time it ran like it should for a few minutes and when he throttled it down and tried it again, same barely move problem. I have noticed carbs leak. Also is there somewhere I can download a service manual or at least a exploded view of this thing? Thanks for your guys help. Tom

Go to Mercury Express.com and enter your serial no ,and continue, and zip code, and continue and pick the part of the motor you want to look at and there will be blow-ups and prices .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don't believe that age engine is there. they want the ob serial number. the site does not accept just the plain number.

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

i don't believe that age engine is there. they want the ob serial number. the site does not accept just the plain number.

You may be right about that year. They except my '88 0b343140 and have almost everything I needed. Maybe you can answer a question I have. On the '88 60hp is there supposed to be a compression spring at the top of the driveshaft to hold the shaft down. Mine don't have, but mrec express shows one. I don't know what holds it down as you can pull up on it and it moves 1/4 inch. My clymer book is confusing on that. Like, "if you have a one piece berring" you do all this depth mic work and my old pump and the new one,using the serial no. are identical and they don't come anywhere near the berring race they talk about, by 3/8 of an inch..........Jerry

doorhanger

Recruit

Thanks for your guys help. My father in law mentioned that he had a local marine look at it. He said they changed out the prop but he still had the same problem. Can you see the hub and tell if it is bad or good when you remove the prop? Also I can't get MercuryExpress.com to come up is this the right address? I have plenty of mechanical ability to do this I just need to know what torque setting the prop needs to reinstall it properly. Also if the hub is broken I should'nt be able to move at all right? I was thinking that maybe the dwell was not right, because if the prop hub was bad why did the motor die like I stated at the beginning? I really need some specs on this thing before I tear into it and make things worse. (dwell, timiing, torque specs) do I have to buy a manual? Is this info that sacred? Thanks for all the help. Tom