650s 1968thermostat

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice
does my 68 650 have a thermostate and where is it located the engine is cool to the touch when running maybe that is why my fuel consumption is high?

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 650s 1968thermostat

Jimmy, none of the old 650-4's had a 'stat. I guess you're lucky it's cooling well, look at all the problems posted on the forum from folks whose motor is running hot !!!

Anyway, have you checked compression to verify the health of your motor?

A good tuneup might be in order, with the correct heat-range spark plugs; cleaning of the distributor cap; checking carbs for a leaking needle seat; perhaps even a rebuild of the fuel pump.

Other than the fuel consumption, how does it run?

BTW, knowing what size boat the 650 is powering, and what pitch prop you're running, will tell us a lot.

If you're overpropped on a heavy boat, you're going to use lots of fuel and it's bad for the motor, too.

Conversely if it's drastically underpropped, you're revving up way to much for the load and that will also suck down the gas.

Anyway, a bit more feedback and we can get to the bottom of your problem.

HTH.............ed

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 650s 1968thermostat

thanks for the info about stat i was afraid there might be one and happy i dont have to worry about that the boat is a 15 ft starcraft 1972 capri and all i can find on the prop is the number 13 i think its the diameter of the 2 bladed prop i am running its been on there 20 years i had the wot rpms checked years ago with this prop and it was around 5000 if i remeber properly and i havent check copression but had carbs rebuilt last week did have a problem with it throttling up and just flat running a couple weeks ago so rebuilt carbs and found red wire at switch box only hanging on by 4 strands literly fixed that and she starts with just a touch and i mean just a touch you cant get off the keyy fast enough and it had been running just great until the wire and carb issue havent gotten to take it out since the rebuild but on muffs it runs just fine nowit was getting about 3 miles to a gallon before at idle speeds fishing dont seem to be any fuel leaks when i get it out i will let you know what happens but looks like i need a lower unit reseal now oil dripping off the skeg :mad: