650 lower unit leak

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice
well anotherone my lower unit is dripping oilfrom gear box i took off prop and the prop shaft around seal feels and looks dry.i did put in new impeler last year what do you think about it being the drice shaft seals leaking oil had the same problem years ago when a crooked boat shop charged me for a total reseal and only changed the first seal on prop shaft found out that it was the waterpump seals sucking oil up the drive shaft

diaric

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 650 lower unit leak

you have a 50/50 chance its the waterpump base.they leak more often. mine would leak out after i tipped the motor up for transport then dropped it when i got home. if i put the vent screw in after filling and gave it another pump or two, i would hear it leak in the top of the leg, not the bottom. and the lube would appear out the exhaust of the prop hours later, not right away.

jimmy57

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 650 lower unit leak

hope its the water pump had a leak there once before got all the new seals o ring and gaskets will look into it tomorrow more rain here today again got to get it fixed may need to drive boat to work